cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Plans for winter camping?

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any winter campers here? Where are ya going?

We head to the Blue Ridge mountains and southern climes in winter. We have to have our annual seafood trip to Louisiana and Savannah areas.

**Will swing by The Neutral Zone en route to Savannah definitely.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
17 REPLIES 17

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I've just started my plans for winter camping. Left upstate NY on October 21, and will make a slow (with many stops) trip to the Long Term Visitor Areas in Quartzsite, AZ. I skipped last year, but have done the trip for the previous 5 years. The best way to winterize your trailer possible!

2021 - 2022 Trip To The Southwest

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
charlestonsouthern wrote:
memtb, thank you for the information. We were at a big RV show in Myrtle Beach a couple of weekends ago, and they had a large number of new Teton fifth wheels there. They were simply beautiful.
I wander who built the new Teton?
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
memtb, thank you for the information. We were at a big RV show in Myrtle Beach a couple of weekends ago, and they had a large number of new Teton fifth wheels there. They were simply beautiful.

charlestonsouthern,

Be very careful thinking that this โ€œnewโ€ Teton, is the same Teton of yesteryear! Teton Homes of Casper, Wyoming went out of business in 2008....during the crash of the late 2000โ€™s! Similar to other businesses, and I may be incorrect, there is nothing stopping an rv manufacture from calling their product by the same name as another that went out of business!! I would love to have the opportunity to spend some time thoroughly examining โ€œthisโ€ new Teton! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
memtb -- How do you prep your RV for that kind of camping and temperatures?

charlestonsouthern, I guess that you could say that we cheat! Our unit has a -20 F guarantee. There were only a few rvโ€™s with this type of guarantee!

It is our 4th Teton Homes 5th wheel. Our first one was a 1990, and we spent 2 Wyoming winters in it while we were building our home...the first winter, we didnโ€™t even skirt it! We did put some bubble foil insulation on some of the windows. As we were hooked-up to water at our place, we very quickly learned that the water connection inside the camper needed additional insulation.....it was hiding inside the kitchen cabinetry. A little foam generously applied .... solved that issue! Our only other issue was self-induced. We had a mirrored sliding door closet in the front bedroom, and we left the doors closed, and got some frost on the closet back wall (front of 5th wheel)! Again.....easily resolved! As this was a 1990 model, there have been many notable improvements since then. The weakest point in this unit was the old style crank-out louvered windows......it had inside storm windows, which helped a great deal.

This was our first Teton Homes 5th wheel. When we found out how well they were made....we decided that a Teton would be the only 5th wheel we would consider!

Since 1990, improved slide seals, and dual pane windows are a couple of big improvements since 1990.

In our present unit (the one pictured in our avatar) I wouldn't do anything for the occasional, minus 20 to 25 ! If we were going to spend the entire winter in it, expecting a bunch of cold weather.....we would skirt it! Thatโ€™s about it!

Addendum: Bring plenty of propane...you will use a lot! ;)memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
memtb -- How do you prep your RV for that kind of camping and temperatures?

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Yep! Will be spending the usual 2 to 3 weeks elk hunting in North-Central Wyoming. We will very likely see a few mornings below zero F. Hopefully, we will make an ice fishing trip or two, with temps potentially down to -20 F. And yes, there will be water in the rv system.....Iโ€™m kinda fond of cooking, washing my hands, and taking the occasional shower! ๐Ÿ˜‰

The worst part of winter boondocking is filling the water tanks at home when prepping for the trip, with temps in single digits or low teens! The ice fishing gloves quickly pay for themselves! :B memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Going to Yellowstone tomorrow which has been experiencing winter conditions for the past several days.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
philh wrote:
do key west and tampa count? LOL

If you're camping between December 21, 7:59 am and March 20, 8:33 am, then it counts. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Roger that!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:

If you're camping between December 21, 7:59 am and March 20, 8:33 am, then it counts. ๐Ÿ˜‰
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
We're heading to the Sedona/Cottonwood AZ area for the week of Thanksgiving. Not really winter camping per se. Last year we even wore shorts on some days.

That's our last planned trip until spiting. Already had to winterize the trailer as it's been below freezing here.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love winter camping. I'll headed for several favorite spots this winter.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
Starting around mid September we head for the Smoky mountain area , till around thanksgiving. Then we go south for Christmas.weโ€™re not sure where weโ€™re going this year. Weโ€™ve talked about Chattanooga or Vicksburg Mississippi,but havenโ€™t decided yet.