cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery replacement

jgrimes
Explorer
Explorer
Need to replace my two 6 volt golf cart batteries in my Solitude. Does anyone have any experience with the Interstate GC2ECL 6 VOLTS?
13 REPLIES 13

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
lryrob9301 wrote:
You can save some money buying DEKA GC2 6 volt batteries from places like Batteries Plus and others. The DEKA and the Interstate are both made by East Penn Battery Corp.

Thought Interstate was either Johnson Controls or US Battery..

But that said I replaced Interstates with Deka. Mostly because it was a DEKA store (GC2's can be a bit of an issue finding them Going to Sam's club was an option but by the time I spent the gas and the membership fee.. DEKA was cheaper).

My Interstats lasted 9 years. My Dekas the rest of the life of the motor home (Were still strong till I killed them and I do mean I killed them they did not die of old age. I ran 'em down to nothign and lef them there for a month. )
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have 2 Interstates in my diesel pickup that are 9 years old. I took them out of my race car and put new ones in there couple of years back. But when I realized that Johnson Controls made them and Wal Marts I replaced 3 of the DP batteries with Wal-Marts at 1/2 the price 3 years ago. So far so good.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
BobsYourUncle,

The colder the better for storage, so long as the batteries are fully charged when they are put away.

Fully charged they will freeze at - 70 C (-94 f). At that temperature I'm sure we would have a lot of other worries.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
jgrimes wrote:
Need to replace my two 6 volt golf cart batteries in my Solitude. Does anyone have any experience with the Interstate GC2ECL 6 VOLTS?
These will serve you well. Charging and maintenance is far more important than brand. Lots of Interstate dealers around if you need service on the road.

I have 4 - 6V Interstate GC2's that I bought on June 19, 2013.

They have been excellent for me in spite of the up and down charging over the years, and less than stellar maintenance by me. Sometimes they will be drained way down, other times kept right up. Many times they have been charged by my Honda 2000 genny.

They sit unused all winter in freezing Alberta weather. They have never had a trickle charger on them to maintain charge.
Every spring they have been ready for use, and even though sat freezing for months, will always power out the slide.
I have forgotten to switch my battery cutoff a few times, resulting in them draining to completely flat.

Although they are showing signs of weakening, they are still going, holding a charge and functioning well for me.

Over 8 years and counting.

I will likely replace them next spring. And I would not hesitate to buy the same batteries again.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
pianotuna wrote:
Consider twin SiO2--or one 216 amp-hour unit.

Good option, if the guy can get his money's worth out of $1000 worth of batteries.
Many don't need that level of battery power though, or the cost that goes with it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Retired JSO wrote:
Most automotive batteries made in America are manufactured by one of two companies: Johnson Controls, Inc. or Exide Technologies. The dominant replacement market brand names, Interstate and DieHard, are both Johnson Controls products, as is the Optima brand.
Usually the batteries are the same except for the badging.

Same parent mfg company has little bearing on the quality of battery as they're not all made to the same specs.
The wives tales about how all batteries are made by Johnson or East Penn, so they're the same, are flat wore out.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Retired JSO wrote:
Most automotive batteries made in America are manufactured by one of two companies: Johnson Controls, Inc. or Exide Technologies. The dominant replacement market brand names, Interstate and DieHard, are both Johnson Controls products, as is the Optima brand.

What about East Penn???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
lryrob9301 wrote:
You can save some money buying DEKA GC2 6 volt batteries from places like Batteries Plus and others. The DEKA and the Interstate are both made by East Penn Battery Corp.

Can you prove Interstate is made by East Penn?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Consider twin SiO2--or one 216 amp-hour unit.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Don't buy the Interstates! Buy Deka AGM 240 each I think or less.
Interstates when the company bought Johnson Controls many years ago now and just up the road, started making the Interstate brand after a year made them with thinner plates etc but their marketing was great. On my daughters truck I replaced Interstate batteries from Wal Mart about every year.
Wife stuck on the side of the road with factory batter about to explode, north of Atlanta, in 2018 bought an Interstate from a gas station down the hill from the road. 2019 it went bad and in a series of event cascaded into $4,000.00 in repairs the batter would not hold a charge and in Shawnee, Oklahoma, the Parts stores would no replace it because the mechanic did not punch out the date of purchase, unknown to my wife. Johnson Controls makes a lot of batteries under different names and quality, and I have no idea which one to recommend if any. Teh battery n my AMG is over ten years old, I don't know the brand and hard to get too. I find out I may put them in my other vehicles.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer