cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires again

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Today, while driving on a freeway, we blew out aST235/80R16 with a G load rating. This tire was mounted on a 16,000 lb 5er. The tire brand was Samson and yes, that tire is mfg. in China. We will be purchasing 4 new tires in the next day or two. Can you recommend a better tire than the one that blew? We don't mind paying for quality, in fact we would much rather pay for quality than experience again what happened today.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
26 REPLIES 26

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
klr650goldwing wrote:
We currently have Samson tires on our trailer that could be up to 7 years old. The 5er is a 2014, we bought it in 2018 so we don't know for sure how old the tires are. We have traveled about 15,000 miles with these tires. I have always kept the tires aired up to 110 lbs. Now I'm wondering if we should just put the same tires back on. The blow out did put a hole in the sidewall about the diameter of a baseball. But is it possible that these current tires are at the end of their useful life span?

Love your taste in vehicles BTW. My Arctic Fox is a 2014 and the DOT markings showed the tires were made in 2013 and 2014. With a 16,600 GVWR and a cross country trip looming, I didn't want to chance the old tires even though there was plenty of tread and no visible sidewall cracking.

In the aviation world, there's components that are hour limited, cycle limited (ie take-offs and landings) and time limited. I tend to consider RV tires as time limited items. They would have probably done OK but it was worth the $800 I spent for Sailuns for piece of mind.

On the bright side, I sold the set of old Goodyear G614's to a local guy on Craigslist for farm use for $200.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
The age of the tires can be determined by the DOT code on the sidewall. Four numbers in a oval, the first two numbers are the week and the second two are the year. If they are OEM tires, you're likely living on borrowed time, although our Sailun tires on the last trailer were 7 years old when we sold it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
klr650goldwing wrote:
We currently have Samson tires on our trailer that could be up to 7 years old. The 5er is a 2014, we bought it in 2018 so we don't know for sure how old the tires are. We have traveled about 15,000 miles with these tires. I have always kept the tires aired up to 110 lbs. Now I'm wondering if we should just put the same tires back on. The blow out did put a hole in the sidewall about the diameter of a baseball. But is it possible that these current tires are at the end of their useful life span?

Tires have a date code - Look that up and decide. Most think about 5 years is all a trailer tire can handle. A cheaper brand, less than that. Really consider what tires you put on it. A quality brand is not much more expensive than a non quality brand. But having the correct weight rating is the most important and some go up a rating just to be safe.

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Michelle.S wrote:
Well I've had a Blowout on a GY G114 "H" 17.5" tire at 4 years and 40K miles then switched to Sailun "H" 17.5 stamped "Made in China" and with 2 years and 15K miles lost an inner section of the tread, but never lost air. Bought a replacement thru Wally World because I needed a spare. Generated a warranty with Tredit the distributor and received a check that more than covered the cost of the Wally World replacement.
So will be watching them closely, and don't anyone suggest GY Endurance because we're pushing 20K on the fifth wheel.

Why would anyone push a tire that canโ€™t carry the weight?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I've had a Blowout on a GY G114 "H" 17.5" tire at 4 years and 40K miles then switched to Sailun "H" 17.5 stamped "Made in China" and with 2 years and 15K miles lost an inner section of the tread, but never lost air. Bought a replacement thru Wally World because I needed a spare. Generated a warranty with Tredit the distributor and received a check that more than covered the cost of the Wally World replacement.
So will be watching them closely, and don't anyone suggest GY Endurance because we're pushing 20K on the fifth wheel.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
I ended up with Endurance as I couldn't get Carlisles in time for a trip. I will tell you that they have a =lot= less tread than most other STs that I've seen. Surprised heck out of me, for sure. I sure hope I don't have to tow in heavy rain as the siping is =shallow=.

Lyle

1/4" or 8/32" tread depth. Towed my boat in wet conditions in NW WA with no issues. Have 4 years and over 20k.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I ended up with Endurance as I couldn't get Carlisles in time for a trip. I will tell you that they have a =lot= less tread than most other STs that I've seen. Surprised heck out of me, for sure. I sure hope I don't have to tow in heavy rain as the siping is =shallow=.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Couple reports on the Montana forum with the Vietnam made Sailuns, looks like a bad batch, they had about the same date codes . No blowouts ,what I saw was partial tread separation ."

Sounds like the GY 17.5 "H"

"12v98, might have to consider those Endurance next time if those Sailuns continue with issues ,or make sure they are made in China ."

I have been running the Endurance on my Boat Trailer with ZERO issues towing at 70mph all Summer long for 4 years now. Probably have 20k or more and have around 1/8" tread left.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2012Coleman wrote:
I considered Sailuns, but they were overkill for my GVWR so I went with Endurance. Very well made tire - heavy. Didn't loose any psi over our summer travels.

Good call on the GY's. I never seem to loose air on mine or much on any of my other tires. Is that because of the tires or just better installation methods?

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Just a heads-up about the Sailun: they are now made in Vietnam, and there have been several instances of complete tread separation. This was on tires made earlier this year in Vietnam. Dunno if it's a continuing problem. I loved the Sailun tires on my Fuzion, six years old and still going strong when I sold the trailer. Now I'm having second thoughts, but won't need tires for another year or so, hopefully anyway. There may be more news by then.

Hadn't heard this. Will keep my ears/eyes open for more info.

FWIW, we have Provider G's on our 30' GN triple axle trailer. They're working well, so far.

Lyle

Couple reports on the Montana forum with the Vietnam made Sailuns, looks like a bad batch, they had about the same date codes . No blowouts ,what I saw was partial tread separation .

12v98, might have to consider those Endurance next time if those Sailuns continue with issues ,or make sure they are made in China . :B

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are good Chinese tires and bad Chinese tires. Carlisle and Hercules are good Chinese brands - probably better for your spare than your main tires. If you want a tire that you can trust driving down the road, for your trailer weight, buy the G rated GoodYear or Sailun tire as many have expressed very good results with both. I have heard that Walmart usually has good prices on the Sailun tires, I had priced them at a "tire" shop and they were way over priced, they wanted me to buy their Chinese brand tire... I have GoodYear tires on my 5th wheel, but my weights are not as high as yours. If I needed G rated, I would have purchased Sailun tires.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I considered Sailuns, but they were overkill for my GVWR so I went with Endurance. Very well made tire - heavy. Didn't loose any psi over our summer travels.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I had Carlisles on Montana HC with no issues.
Up sized to a pre owned 18,000 GVW landmark that had Sailuns. Had one blow out in nowhere New Mexico. Replaced with Hercules Strong Guard. Have maybe 8,000 miles on them. No problems so far.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive