Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: 2013 Arctic Fox 990S
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2013 Arctic Fox 990S

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
crewdog1952

Home

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/21 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Everybody

We have a 2013 AF 990S and are looking for a propane tank monitor system. I kinda drive my wife crazy wondering how much propane we have left during trips. She would like to get a monitoring system so I will relax. I have looked into it and need some advise. Not a lot of room in the tank area. Any help thanks.

Rancher Don

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/21 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello Don,

I am sure others will chime in, but my opinion relates along the line of the KISS principle. And in keeping true to that then sometime "less is more" and for me it meant NO monitoring system.

At one time (on one of my campers) the regulator went out. I replaced it with an auto change-over type that never seemed to worked as described- It may have been the below-freezing temperature in which I mostly camped that caused improper operation.

I had 2 tanks and assume your AF has two as well. Well, the auto change-over never really worked as it seemed it should. I wanted hassle-free gas and one would think that with 2 tanks then it should operate properly.

Anyway... my priorities were to have plenty of gas, to never run out and to use a tank to its completion so as to never have to "top off a tank." I never wanted to take a tank to the refill station with any partial LP remaining.

My solution was to use one tank and only one tank to its complete depletion. When it ran out I would manually change over the valve to the other full tank. I never left for a camping trip without at least one full bottle.

My method was not without effort. There were times when I would hear the furnace not kick in (I am a light sleeper anyway.) Was I getting outside in my skivvies at 3AM in 10 degree temperatures to switch the tank? Well, ...there was at least one time I recall doing so. The nice thing about getting outside during that situation was to take a leak, look up at the clear sky and potential shooting stars... and then rushing back in to a warm bed and camper.

But, did I have hassle free propane? Yes, for me it was despite an occasional minor inconvenience.

Perhaps relish in the time of what minor inconveniences there might be... after all, it is camping. There are larger things of which might cause anxiety. Maybe one should be more concerned with how much beer one has instead of propane [emoticon]
Enjoy the trip and forget small the small stuff.

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Slymer

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/21 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I opted for these pigtails. We also have 2x30 pd. tanks. It is tight but they fit in okay, and work well.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07SRP89N8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/21 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thread from last year on this topic: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30026378.cfm

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/21 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crewdog1952 wrote:

Hey Everybody

We have a 2013 AF 990S and are looking for a propane tank monitor system. I kinda drive my wife crazy wondering how much propane we have left during trips. She would like to get a monitoring system so I will relax. I have looked into it and need some advise. Not a lot of room in the tank area. Any help thanks.

Rancher Don

You must camp in cold weather? Because if no heater running, propane lasts for months running the fridge, hot water and cooking.
And "fall" camping, with below freezing temps at night, camper warmed up for evening and night time, 1 30lb lasts me about 3 weeks.
Sorry, I don't have a recommendation on what monitoring system is best, but thought I'd throw that out there if you're new to campers or this camper.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/21 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mellow wrote:

Thread from last year on this topic: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30026378.cfm

We use the Mopeka sensors in both our rigs and recommend them.

2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/21 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I switch tanks at the switch-over valve when one tank runs out.
That way I know exactly how much propane I have.
Then I just have the empty tank refilled at a convenient time and place.
Easy peasy and it doesn't cost a thing. [emoticon]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/21 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

It's annoying to have the heat cut out in the middle of the night in 0F weather. Been there a few times, Mopeka sensors keep that from sneaking up on you. But if you don't camp in cold weather, then there are few downsides to just letting the tanks run out and running them like you do.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/21 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

If I'm on an extended trip I can always carry extra tanks on my ATV trailer and just attach this pigtail to a vertical tank and set it on the ground.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/21 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

n0arp wrote:

specta wrote:

It's annoying to have the heat cut out in the middle of the night in 0F weather. Been there a few times, Mopeka sensors keep that from sneaking up on you. But if you don't camp in cold weather, then there are few downsides to just letting the tanks run out.

I've never experienced that. If I feel a tank is getting low I switch them before going to bed.

Yep, I hate getting out in the cold too.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2013 Arctic Fox 990S
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.