cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh water tank drain.

Silas_Carpy
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if right forum? First time winterizing. I cannot find a drain plug for fresh water tank. 2009 fleetwood pulse class c. Is this a thing? Do they make some of theses w/o a drain? Also, best to drain and leave black tank empty or water w/antifreeze? Iโ€™ve read both opinions. Thank you.
17 REPLIES 17

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
I have put a little pink stuff in the fresh tank to protect the drain line and the line to the pump. It was not the end of the world to rinse it out. But talking 40 gal.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
DrewE wrote:
What leads one to believe the seals on the drain valves need moisturizing and lubrication? And, in any case, what keeps the seals on the output side of the gate wet and lubricated if that were indeed necessary?

There's no harm in having antifreeze there, but it's not at all necessary.

Since you are asking... and no one said necessary. I will say, from experience, "helpful" in keeping seals from sticking. I have 3 tanks, all enclosed, with cable operated valve gates. I blow lines first, then run about 2 gals of Prestone RV through, catching what is mostly pure AF. I also drain, and catch AF from low points. I will dump about a gal in the black tank, rest in the gray tanks. Come Spring, all valves, especially the black, works very easily, better than during camping season.

I always cover the toilet seal with AF for Winter storage too. It will add longer life too! Necessary?? Maybe not, just good idea.

Thetford, and others, make a valve seal lube, to add to the tanks. Might be worth a try, if you have an issue.

Jerry

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
What leads one to believe the seals on the drain valves need moisturizing and lubrication? And, in any case, what keeps the seals on the output side of the gate wet and lubricated if that were indeed necessary?

There's no harm in having antifreeze there, but it's not at all necessary.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lynnmor wrote:
Deb and Ed M wrote:
I always put about a quart of straight antifreeze in the black and gray tanks. The theory is that it keeps the seals on the gate valves lubricated and pliable

If you use the cheap stuff that contains ethyl alcohol, your theory may not hold water.

Yup..some antifreeze in the tank is good for lubricating the seals, and to keep any "stuff" on tank bottoms from drying, and turning to concrete.

Also agree, the cheap ethanol based, is not a best choice, and may evaporate, and dry out seals over time.

Jerry

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my Fleetwood Tioga the drain is attached to the water tank it looks like this,just turn the handle so it lines up with the pipe and it will drain. You may have to remove the plywood cover covering the tank to access it.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
I always put about a quart of straight antifreeze in the black and gray tanks. The theory is that it keeps the seals on the gate valves lubricated and pliable

If you use the cheap stuff that contains ethyl alcohol, your theory may not hold water.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
From the 2009 Fleetwood Pulse Owners Manual (downloadable from fleetwoodrv.com):

โ€œThe main water tank "quick-drain" valve is located on the end of the water tank or on the sidewall adjacent to the water tank.โ€

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
There should be a plastic pipe coming down from the tank bottom. On most it's relatively small (1/2" pipe) Empty would be my preferred option.

If you don't drain it, you do want to put in antifreeze but it will take a good amount to dilute the water in the tank and then you will have to fill and drain several times in the spring to get the taste out.

Our current trailer has a really nice setup. They fit it from the factory with a 1.5inch blade valve (similar to the gray water drain but white and clearly labeled for fresh water use). A quick pull of the handle and the fresh water tank quickly drains with no tools needed.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Back when I drained our tanks for the winter years ago, I used the leveling jacks on the off side to tilt the tanks towards the drains.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Getting rid of anti freeze in the fresh tank can be a major pain in the anatomy.

Two places. UNDER the tank or in the side of the tank.. Mine was in the side behid an access panel (same one I opened when filling)

Now because it was NOT in the bottom it was a ton of fun getting the last couple of gallons out.. I ended up slipping a small vinyl tube about 5 feet long into the tank and siphoning the water out. It's easier than you might think.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
While there's no real harm to having antifreeze in any of the tanks, if you drain them normally, there should be no need of keeping any antifreeze in them. Whatever miniscule amount of water remains on the bottom of the tank has plenty of room to expand as it freezes, and no fittings to fill and burst/split apart.

If you have any significant amount of water remaining in, say, the dump line between the tank and the dump valve, that could very well lead to trouble; but a quarter inch or whatever in the bottom of a tank is not a concern.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
While you are underneath your MH searching for the drain, take a general look around. Bound to find something that needs attention. Donโ€™t forget eye protection
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
In my unit the drain is behind the driver's seat on the stub wall.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.