cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need your help, ideas

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Good afternoon. We have a Silverado 3500HD, duals, 4x4. Kinda a high step up to the running board for Brenda. Not so much for me. Brenda is of short Stature. Well early this summer Brenda was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Stepping up to the running board is bit harder now. I came up with the idea of maybe adding a second step to the running board. 2 steps up into the truck. Any thoughts, help, ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Brenda and Bill
2020 Lance 1172, our traveling rig
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.
2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, CC, 4x4, LB, duals, DuraMax
21 REPLIES 21

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Amp Power Steps go down and out to assist with entry and exit. Most truck steps are useless upon exit and just cause a trip hazard and get your pants legs dirty. Amp steps have been the only usable steps I've found.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
RetiredRealtorRick, thanks for the reply. No she does not have a issue entering or exiting the tc. The problem is the height of the running board on the truck.
Brenda and Bill
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Does she have issues entering/exiting the TC as well?

Not to muddy the waters, but it might be time to consider a different RV option all together. Just a thought.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942, thanks for the reply. I will have to have a really good look at these steps.
Brenda and Bill

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
s1214, thanks for the reply. I will look for them. Heck etrailer is only about 70 miles from the house.
Brenda and Bill

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain, thanks for the reply. So many options.
Brenda and Bill

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna, thanks for the reply. Thanks for the heads up on the age of a plastic stool.
Brenda and Bill

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead, thanks for the reply. Right now we use a folding stool. I get out and go around and put the stool on the ground for Brenda. We will figure something out.
Brenda and Bill

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Watch out on the plastic steps--I had one for about 10 years. One day I stepped on it as usual and 'snap' it broke. Fortunately I did not fall.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:
We also used the EZ step for few years. The 12" height made it much easier for Margaret to get in. The retrieval not so much, I'd just wait for her to get in the pick up the step and store behind my seat. On unlevel ground you need to pay attention, especially getting out...

I might suggest what we finally did, but its not an inexpensive solution. Installed Amp-Research power running boards. When deployed they split the distance and fold out lower than most fixed running boards. Top of step height when out is 12", tread is about 6" wide so very secure. Our door sill is ~28". Standing on step you can almost fall in. Even my 90 year old mom is able to get in.
I installed so saved a bit but to Margaret they are worth every penny.

That Amp research running boards sounds like the best choice

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Step for wife----
I recommend the aluminum steps as they are stronger and lighter.

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
ETrailer sent me an email the other day. They were advertising running boards that had a second step that dropped down when the door opened.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
We also used the EZ step for few years. The 12" height made it much easier for Margaret to get in. The retrieval not so much, I'd just wait for her to get in the pick up the step and store behind my seat. On unlevel ground you need to pay attention, especially getting out...

I might suggest what we finally did, but its not an inexpensive solution. Installed Amp-Research power running boards. When deployed they split the distance and fold out lower than most fixed running boards. Top of step height when out is 12", tread is about 6" wide so very secure. Our door sill is ~28". Standing on step you can almost fall in. Even my 90 year old mom is able to get in.
I installed so saved a bit but to Margaret they are worth every penny.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hello OP. I went to amazon and typed in running board steps and many pages came up.. Mostly new running boards but there were a couple of attach to the existing running board option. You'll have to scroll through the pages to see them. I scrolled to page 6 and saw three or four options. Good luck. Joe