cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tonneau Cover

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to purchase a bed cover for a new truck.

For the last ten years, my current truck has had a solid hard-top Tonneau cover, hinged at the front of the bed and assisted up/down with piston springs (if that's what they are called). Although I have been very satisfied with it, the only negative is the requirement to remove (and temporarily store) when loading with item(s) higher than about 17 inches.

As a result, I am looking at folding covers, preferably hard, not soft, material. I prefer tonneau, rather than canopy.

With that in mind, has anyone any experience with the Peragon (.com) product? At first blush, it looks good quality, and perhaps a relatively new company??

Marv
25 REPLIES 25

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Hmmm, it must just be junk...that's excessive for sure!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
mosseater wrote:
I just recently bought a Bak Flip folding sectional cover for my new 2022 F-250 Supercrew 8' bed. I understand they cannot guarantee a water tight product, but this was just horrendous. I've seen screens keep water out better.

And yet, the cheapest tri fold or one piece soft tonneaus seem to keep water out just fine.
He!!, I can see daylight under the front of the soft tonneau cover on the bro-dozer. Live in Seattle, it's rained about 6" this month already, truck is not garaged and nothing gets wet.

I too had a poor experience with a hard roll n lock type cover. Drains would get plugged then the leaks started.

The drains aren't blocked. The very next day it rained pretty hard and literally filled the bed with water on a flat parking area so much it ran out the back of the bed. It even leaks in the center of the folding joints which are crimped onto the aluminum cross supports with a rubber gasket. Horrible performance. Looks nice, though! Lol.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered my soft roll up from Amazon I believe it’s a Gator brand.

As far as the back window….I use my power sliding window all the time for air flow or to put longer,lighter stuff through into the cab. 2016 Ram Crew Cab 5’7” bed
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mosseater wrote:
I just recently bought a Bak Flip folding sectional cover for my new 2022 F-250 Supercrew 8' bed. I understand they cannot guarantee a water tight product, but this was just horrendous. I've seen screens keep water out better.

And yet, the cheapest tri fold or one piece soft tonneaus seem to keep water out just fine.
He!!, I can see daylight under the front of the soft tonneau cover on the bro-dozer. Live in Seattle, it's rained about 6" this month already, truck is not garaged and nothing gets wet.

I too had a poor experience with a hard roll n lock type cover. Drains would get plugged then the leaks started.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
marpel wrote:

Having said that, one of the reasons I am looking at tonneau covers is the new truck comes with a sliding rear window (electric, I think) and I figured it negates any benefit if it is blocked by the canopy.

So I ask, of those who have a rear sliding window, do you use them all that often and do some of you also have them blocked by a canopy? Don't have a dog and the kids are grown and I rarely have anyone in the back seats.

Marv

A canopy doesn't reduce the effectiveness of a sliding rear window at all (if you're using the open back window to support lumber in your new high dollar truck, then disregard, as you don't really care about your vehicle or have a clue how to haul lumber).

Air still can circulate just as good through the back window canopy or not. They're not sealed to the cab.

I use the rear slider frequently. Great source of fresh air ventilation with basically no road noise.

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
I just recently bought a Bak Flip folding sectional cover for my new 2022 F-250 Supercrew 8' bed. I understand they cannot guarantee a water tight product, but this was just horrendous. I've seen screens keep water out better. Their tech service was horrible. There was missing hardware to boot, so I had to put it all back away until they sent it two weeks after the fact. I can't say all their products are bad, but the one they sent me WAS. Never again. I won't be happy until I get hard cap again, like I should have to start with. Prices are crazy right now, so this was an attempt at a stop-gap measure. Should have known better.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S - How is the RollnLock for water resistance?

I have had a solid tonneau cover for the last ten or so years and it has been literally bullet-proof in regard to water penetration. I suspect a retractable would be less than so.

And, does it require drilling a hole(s) in the bed for the drain tubes?

Marv

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm the same, Electric Back Window was part of the overall package. Opened once to hear the radio while working in the back of the truck.
When I ordered my 2018 High Country I ordered the optional Roll-n-Lock cover (Dealer installed option) and was $100 cheaper than on the open market.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
marpel wrote:

So I ask, of those who have a rear sliding window, do you use them all that often and do some of you also have them blocked by a canopy? Don't have a dog and the kids are grown and I rarely have anyone in the back seats.

Marv

I opened mine once. the only benefit I see is you can stick 8 ft 2x2s, etc.through them.
bumpy

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
I've started looking at the aluminum retractable covers, like Roll N Lock (although some are as expensive as a canopy).

I don't mind the, minimal, space they take up at the front of the bed as long as there is some space to lay a few sheets of plywood.

Having said that, one of the reasons I am looking at tonneau covers is the new truck comes with a sliding rear window (electric, I think) and I figured it negates any benefit if it is blocked by the canopy.

I didn't choose the slider as it came in a package which had a component I did want.

Marv

ronbiel
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Bak Revolver X2 on my truck. Got it from 4wheelonline. I like it because it doesn't block the rear window when rolled up. It is easy to open and close. There's only a slight water intrusion in the tailgate during heavy rains but not really a big issue.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a metal roll up cover. Although it takes up some room in the bed, with a 5th wheel it works great. Can even roll the cover closed and lock to protect anyone from stealing the hitch. We use our truck as a truck, hauling all kinds of things and although you lose the front of the bed, its better in my opinion than the tri fold covers that block the back window. It does remove, but haven't had a reason to since we got it. It was better at keeping things dry when it was new, right now the side gaskets are worn, but they are replaceable.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ordered on of those roll up metal ones with the new truck. It will take up some space at the front of the bed, but it's also part of the reason to order a long bed

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies.

As initially noted, my current truck (which will be gone when the new one arrives) has a solid cover (extang? maybe, the nameplate fell off two days after I bought it, so have forgotten), which is strong enough to stand on and has never leaked, even in downpours and car washes. The only issue is inability to carry large items, like furniture etc. without completely removing.

The one I posted about folds up to within 6 inches of the cab and, in a couple seconds, can be fully removed from the rails, which remain with the truck bed. For a tonneau, it's a bit pricey (over $900 USD), although the solid one cost me $1200 CDN. And it has a lock and key (although not sure how effective that is).

I would prefer a hard, rather than soft, cover, but could be persuaded otherwise.

Marv.