cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aftermarket Nav

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
As per another thread, I have been researching navigation options.

I just ordered a new truck, and it was my initial intention to get the in-vehicle navigation.

However, to do that, I was required to get an upgraded trim level and add-ons that I neither needed nor wanted. And the cheapest difference in price was over $7000, pre-tax.

I just couldn't force myself to fork out thousands for a slew of stuff I didn't want, to get one relatively inexpensive component. So I opted not to do so.

A bit of research has turned up a company (OBDGenie.com), which sells an aftermarket nav (and other) product, which is literally plug and play, and which gives OEM navigation (in fact, it appears they obtain the map SD card from the truck manufacturer). Reviews seem very positive, but I'd be interested in anyone here having first-hand knowledge of this company and product.

I have sent them an email, seeking some points of clarification, but to-date (about a week, now) have received no answer.

Marv
8 REPLIES 8

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
marpel wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

As mentioned in another post, the reason why I want/need in-vehicle GPS, is we often go to areas without cell service so using a cell phone is unreliable.

Gdetrailer, you are right in that it does not actually add navigation, but more enables the "dormant" system already present. The vehicle is a "22 GMC 2500 SLE, and I ensured it has the IOS 8" Infotainment system, which is required for Navigation. Besides the programmer, the "re-boot" requires an SD card with the maps (which is apparently how the maps are upgraded from GMC). After start-up, you retain the programmer so it can be used again in the future should something happen.

way2roll, I hear what you are saying, but I like to travel pretty simple and don't want extra doodads laying around. My wife even gets a miffed when I travel alone and don't even bring out my cell phone.

When I bought my current truck, I put in an aftermarket head unit with nav, which gave simple, easy navigation without all the bells and whistles and all I had to do was purchase the upgraded maps (via SD card) every three/four years for $60 or so.

An aftermarket GPS unit is a last resort. We used to have a Garmin, but I found it a pain to have to put it away and pull it out all the time. And I would prefer to have everything running through the in-dash screen.

Marv

True "GPS" on a cell phone or tablet does not require cell phone signal.

Some cellphones may have a GPS receiver and a lot of Android tablets also have a GPS receiver so your argument is null and void on those points.

The only nice thing about having builtin OEM nav is the screen is integrated so you have no wires, no extra screens.. The downside is map updates or fixes are slow to none, support is low to non existent and when the OEM decides to abandon it you end up with a built in doorstop..

You can take a test drive with a free App called CoPilot to see if it works for you. To use Copilot without internet you can download the maps to your device before disconnecting from the Internet. Once the maps are loaded on your device CoPilot will use those maps and the built in GPS receiver..

As always, GPS is not 100% perfect, always keep a paper map with you and also use your eyes and read and pay attention to road signs..

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
You only need cell service to get your trip started. If you are driving it is unlikely that you could drive much more than a few miles before the phone got a signal from somewhere. To make that your limiting factor means you haven't ever given this option a fair shake.

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies.

As mentioned in another post, the reason why I want/need in-vehicle GPS, is we often go to areas without cell service so using a cell phone is unreliable.

Gdetrailer, you are right in that it does not actually add navigation, but more enables the "dormant" system already present. The vehicle is a "22 GMC 2500 SLE, and I ensured it has the IOS 8" Infotainment system, which is required for Navigation. Besides the programmer, the "re-boot" requires an SD card with the maps (which is apparently how the maps are upgraded from GMC). After start-up, you retain the programmer so it can be used again in the future should something happen.

way2roll, I hear what you are saying, but I like to travel pretty simple and don't want extra doodads laying around. My wife even gets a miffed when I travel alone and don't even bring out my cell phone.

When I bought my current truck, I put in an aftermarket head unit with nav, which gave simple, easy navigation without all the bells and whistles and all I had to do was purchase the upgraded maps (via SD card) every three/four years for $60 or so.

An aftermarket GPS unit is a last resort. We used to have a Garmin, but I found it a pain to have to put it away and pull it out all the time. And I would prefer to have everything running through the in-dash screen.

Marv

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need anything more than your phone!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Try interfacing with your cell phone after your truck is delivered before you buy something as way2roll suggests. Works just great on my 2020 1500 Silverado.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
You didn't say what truck you were buying, but most new vehicles' head units can interface with your phone via bluetooth or at least USB. If you load WAZE or google maps etc on your phone, just display it on your vehicle's screen. I do this with my new F350. Easy. I am surprised they still offer NAV with new vehicles. The Apps on phones are always up to date, you can change them, etc. the NAV in a vehicle is pretty limited in it's obsolescence and you're stuck with that one NAV.

On edit, why don't more manufacturers just offer integrated apps to work with tablets and further build in docking stations for tablets and phones? The stock head units and proprietary software for new vehicles is far inferior to the technology available after market. It's not dynamic and often becomes obsolete forcing the owner to replace the head unit anyway. My personal experience with my new truck is that the stock display and head unit is pretty limited. Ford could do better by making a docking station for tablets and phones and make apps that you can just load. Almost everyone buys a mounting bracket for their phone or tablet and displays on the head unit anyway.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a Garman RV890 we've been using it for maybe 16000 miles and it has been mostly excellent. It has a learning curve since it has so many functions.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure if it really adds navigation but what it does is basically hacking the existing entertainment system and unlocking the navigation system that might be there.

In other words, it can't add what doesn't already exist in the factory unit.

What vehicle manufacturers often do now days is use the same entertainment system for all trim levels, but lower trim levels or they do not enable some premium features in order to entice one to buy a higher trim level.

So, for this to work, there will be some very specific requirements, For example, the Ford version of genie requires a specific entertainment system with 8" screen in very specific model yrs with a specific firmware version..

There is a chance on lower trim levels that the entertainment unit may not have GPS capability (no hidden setting to hack and no GPS sat receiver) so pay close attention to all of the requirements spelled out by genie before ordering..

If the vehicle manufacturer does a forced firmware upgrade down the road, the hack may cease to function and then you would have to go back to genie to make it right.

You are taking some risks that the hack may brick your factory entertainment system.

For the $500 genie wants for their "product" and the fact you are basically hacking your factory radio I think buying a aftermarket GPS might be a better route..