cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane fridge ticking when turned off

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
Walking by my RV today, I heard a ticking coming from the back of the fridge. The propane has been turned off, as well as the knob inside has been turned to off for a few weeks.

The fridge is a Dometic Americana 2 way fridge.

Why is it clicking if it is in the off position?
How do I fix it?
3 REPLIES 3

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Pull the 12v DC fuse that operates the fridge, see if it stops.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I'd double check that it is really OFF at the fridge. Ours if on either the gas or electric setting and the gas is off and the power options are off, will continue to "tick", trying to light.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

First thing that comes to my mind about a fridge and ticking is the DSI igniter. But turned off it should not be doing that. And even if it were on, and propane off it won't keep going. It would cycle off and show the check light.

I suggest taking the cover off the outside and try to find the location of the ticking. If it is hard to determine even then, get a length of flexible plastic tube a couple feet long. Stick one end in your ear and point the other end into the back of the fridge, fishing around to find the sound. When you are close, the sound will amplify in your ear.
That's how I used to find vague strange noises, whistles etc in car engines. Works well!

Once you ID the sound source, then you can figure out why.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com