cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hanging tiki lights

SUMRX4
Explorer
Explorer
We have a set of what I refer to a tiki lights we like to hang from the edge of our awning. Well we just switched to a 5th wheel and now the awning is 10 or so feet in the air. Those of you with this issue how do you hang the lights? Yeah I could reach it with a ladder but I'm thinking that's too time consuming if I ever need to retract them in a hurry, ie storm blowing up out of nowhere. Are their any other suggestions on where and how to hang these lights? Not owning a fiver previously I have never really paid attention to how folks hang them.
7 REPLIES 7

SUMRX4
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
So if you can tilt it to one side or the other, if you tilt both sides at the same time doesn’t that make it lower?
What am I missing here?

I have never seen one like this myself. The lower arm has a joint about 12" up from where it mounts to the side of the camper. When the awning is extended to can pull this joint and it will lower that side of the awning slightly. It doesn't even drop it 12", hardly enough for rain to even run off and certainly not enough to be able to reach it. Its not built like the one mentioned earlier with the knob. Those will drop the corner a couple feet.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
So if you can tilt it to one side or the other, if you tilt both sides at the same time doesn’t that make it lower?
What am I missing here?

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
When we bought our current rig we gave up on the idea of hanging lights from the awning. It was too high to reach and being a weather pro it automatically rolls up if the wind picks up and such.
I agree with way2roll, an LED strip installed on your awning is the way to go!
2010 Suncruiser

SUMRX4
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Have you checked to see if your awning can be lowered? I suspect it can. Assuming it’s a powered awning, there might be a knob on each support arm that is used to raise/lower the awning.

Not an option with these models. I can tilt to to one side or the other slightly but that's all.

I don't have to put them on the awning. I was just curious of other ways/places to hang them. I can't believe I'm the only person with a 5th wheel that wants to hang outdoor lights.
And no I'm not one of those that lights up the whole area all night. Mine go out when I go to bed.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you checked to see if your awning can be lowered? I suspect it can. Assuming it’s a powered awning, there might be a knob on each support arm that is used to raise/lower the awning.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can just reach mine. Unless the site sloes away from the trailer. One of the first things we do is move the picnic table under the awning. I can generally reach the awning from the table bench. As to getting them down in a hurry, I use small squeeze clamps (think clothes pin only shorter and metal) to hook them to the small part of the awning that hangs down. If I need them down quick I just need to pull them down as I walk across the length of the awning.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Used to hang lights on the awning on our previous MH. Then I discovered strip LED's and never looked back. Our new FW came with them installed. Doesn't solve your problem but the only method I ever found for putting up hanging awning lights and taking them down was a small step ladder, standing on a cooler, a chair - almost breaking my neck. You could try and adjusting your awning so it slopes more downward and see if you can reach it without disrupting the view or anything structural.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS