cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear view camera

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 38' Class A and tow a 2-door Wrangler. I'm thinking of also towing a 12' utility trailer (empty and one-way) behind the Jeep from NY to Texas. Does anyone have a suggestion or experience with a wireless camera system which I could mount to the back of the Jeep to be able to monitor the trailer.

I have checked the state laws I'll be traveling through and once in Ohio I'll be legal the rest of the way.

It's not my first choice but my only realistic choice to get this trailer to our property in Texas. Once there, it will stay there. Thank you.
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude
5 REPLIES 5

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
With a 12 foot trailer you might not need a rear camera.. That said. I don't know
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I'd be seeing if there was someone I knew and trusted who could drive the jeep while the motorhome pulled the empty trailer. Seems simpler and perhaps safer all around to me. Alternately, possibly you could put the Jeep on the trailer...or maybe even mount the trailer on the roof of the Jeep, if it's a lightweight open trailer.

If you do double-tow, take care to verify the legalities quite carefully. It's not uncommon for recreational double towing to only be permitted when the first trailer is a fifth wheel, which of course isn't your situation.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Second Chance wrote:
That combination may not be legal in many states... need to check that out, first.

Rob
Sounds like OP has already done his homework as far as that's concerned.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
That combination may not be legal in many states... need to check that out, first.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used a wireless camera that was part of an optional package to my Garmin RV GPS. It used the GPS monitor for the viewing. Of course when I was using the camera, I could not use the GPS screen. Now sure if this helps you but it worked for me because I only occasionally had to view the camera to align with the gas pumps. For full time viewing you may need a complete system with the camera and monitor.