cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trip to Colorado from Minnesota

upmm019
Explorer
Explorer
Never been to Colorado and considering making a trip in few weeks.

Looking to rent a drivable RV (off RV Share) and do not want to get in over my head as I have never driven anything larger than a standard pickup truck.

I have two dogs (40lbs ea) so will need something with a bit more space and I do not want to travel too far or deep into Colorado but close enough to get a feel for it. Certainly no mountain/pass driving. Perhaps that will limit me forsure.

Looking for suggestions of places to stay or visit that this time of year would be good, have room and maybe dog friendly (i.e. dog parks, etc).

Thx.
7 REPLIES 7

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
If you didn't want to get too deep into Colorado, but see what it's like, you could just camp around Sioux Falls, SD and the eastern half of Colorado looks just like that! 🙂

just kidding - I've spent a lot of time between MN (Gunflint Trail, Boundary Waters), SD (Black Hills to Brookings and Vermillion to Buffalo) and have lived and roamed Colorado for the last 30 years. They all have unique and beautiful places to explore.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
"In a few weeks" and you may encounter snow, even if you don't venture into the mountains. If you've never driven anything larger than a pickup truck, this may not be the best time or place to learn about driving an RV.

You're going to a tough time finding open campgrounds. Some state parks have winter sites available, but only with electric hookups. Filling your water tank might take some creative planning. Plus, many "tourist" spots are now closed for the season.

All-in-all, I'd advise against your plan. Ski resorts start opening in the next month and that's what us locals are looking forward to. If we want to camp this time of year, we head to southern Utah or Arizona. Plan a Colorado trip sometime from mid-May through the end of September next year.

Might I advise heading south to places like Missouri or Arkansas and find a Corp of Engineers park that's open. Maybe there are hills and not mountains, but there's still beautiful scenery and plenty to explore.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
So late Oct- early Nov. Find a campground around Ft Collins. Then if weather permits, take a drive up the Cache La Poudre River(HWY 14). That's my first taste of Colorado, been hooked since.
14 crosses the divide at Cameron Pass, a easy day trip from Fr Collins. Weather permitting.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are making a mistake by "not getting in too deep" in the mountains.
That is what makes Colorado!! If you just stay in the cities up and down the front range, you may as well stay in Minneapolis or Omaha.
Stay on I-70 and drive at least to Dillon and Frisco area. The more you see, the more you will want to explore.

If you went to the Southern part of Colorado, the scenery is just as great plus the weather would probably be a bit better. The snow usually begins in the North and then moves South.

Taking the dogs and renting an RV are two different subjects....both wrong at that time of year.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
A trip to CO a "few weeks" from now means you'll be driving in the lower plains east of the mountains, as others have said. You'll be able to see some snowy peaks, most likely. It's not the same as being in the mountains, but it should be pretty.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
upmm019 wrote:
Never been to Colorado and considering making a trip in few weeks.

Looking to rent a drivable RV (off RV Share) and do not want to get in over my head as I have never driven anything larger than a standard pickup truck.

I have two dogs (40lbs ea) so will need something with a bit more space and I do not want to travel too far or deep into Colorado but close enough to get a feel for it. Certainly no mountain/pass driving. Perhaps that will limit me forsure.

Looking for suggestions of places to stay or visit that this time of year would be good, have room and maybe dog friendly (i.e. dog parks, etc).

Thx.

Not wanting to drive in the mountains or passes pretty much limits you to the eastern plains and foothills area along the I-25/Front Range corridor. Think Fort Collins area down to Denver to Colorado Springs to Pueblo.

And even in these areas there's going to be limitations on where you can stay. USFS campgrounds are not an option, since they are mostly in the mountains and closed/closing for the season. Rocky Mountain National Park also not an option as you have to drive in the mountains to get there and then the best part of the park -- is the mountains. And the main campground there, Moraine Park only has one loop open since Glacier Basin has closed for the season.

Probably your best option would be Colorado State Parks at this CPW link. From north to south, consider Boyd Lake State Park in Loveland, St. Vrain State Park outside Longmont, Cherry Creek and Chatfield State Parks in the Denver area, Cheyenne Mountain State Park in Colorodo Springs, Mueller State Park west of Colorado Springs (a bit of a drive in the mountains but certainly not at all difficult), all as options. All of them have at least one loop still open/open all year. BUT -- COLORADO STATE PARKS REQUIRE RESERVATIONS. There are no first come/first served in any of these parks. The website above will provide information on reservations and you can search to see what might work for you.

Aside from the state parks, there's also some commercial rv parks to consider, mainly in the area around Golden (just west of Denver) and in the Colorado Springs area. Here - Campground Reviews is a good place to start.

As to the RV rental you're considering, keep in mind that you may have to pay a pet premium to rent something, and there's going to be limitations on where the fur friends can accompany you. State Parks again are a good choice, as there are only the usual pet restrictions,(must be on a 6ft leash, can't be left unattended).

Weather is also a factor to keep an eye on. For the next 2 weeks, at least along the Front Range/I-25 corridor, current forecast is for highs in the 60s/lows in the 40s generally, but that can change dramatically. Last year we had a huge snowfall in October so it's something to be aware of. Forecast for the mountains calls for a huge storm possible in the mountains that could dump FEET of snow.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Don’t know what you mean by not traveling too deep into Colorado but stick to the eastern face of the Rockies…the western part of the state. All of it is beautiful. Watch the weather…snow is possible anytime. Your first question to any rental firm should be “can I take the dogs?” Don’t miss Rocky Mountain NP…highest paved road in America…12,000 feet +.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad