Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: DC-DC Charger Wiring Input Suggestions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> DC-DC Charger Wiring Input Suggestions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/21 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

I don't know how protection breakers can lead into disaster?
Putting 40-50 amp breaker on 30 amp wire might.
Yes those short stops are a bit known for failing open and sometimes closed. Or just overheating.

Most have at least #8 that can go 50 amps. Possibly a wire/breaker upgrade will resolve a few issues and be easier than pulling big wire and fuse all the way from the truck.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

NVR2L82AV8

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/21 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used a set of these two-pole Pollack connectors.

Male and Female 2-Pole Pollack Connector

I mounted it (female end) on the underside of the left wing. From the Anderson connector in the truck bed I have a short pigtail with the male Pollack connector on the other end. I connect it up during when loading the camper.

2013 AF 990
2003 F350 6.0L 4X4 DRW, Oil bypass filter, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring fuel pressure mod, DELO ELC, DashBoss Bluetooth engine monitor, EGT/FP gauge, SuperSprings, torklift hitch/tiedowns, 48" SuperTruss, fastguns, Kenwood CMOS Backup Camera.

skidsteerpilot

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/21 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently (4mo ago) installed Renogy 40a DC/DC charger.

F-350 chassis/cab w/flatbed and Northern Lite 10-2.

It went as follows.

Under hood, red 4awg from battery "+" post --> WindyNation 60a ANL fuse --> 300a solenoid --> 120a Anderson plug. Black 4awg from chassis ground --> Anderson plug. 300a solenoid is under hood and has 12awg trigger wire to upfitter switch and one to ground.

In camper, from Anderson red --> Renogy --> 60a Windynation ANL --> battery. From Anderson black --> battery.

We have flooded batteries so also have a temp probe from Renogy to batt compartment.

The solenoid is under the hood and wired to one of the upfitter switches in the cab, so the whole operation can be turned on/off from the upfitter switch in cab. The Anderson plug and corresponding receptacle (in camper side) both have all weather covers so when not in use they are protected. The Anderson in camper side is next to the 7pin plug for convenience.

The final step to this will be to install a high-idle switch so when sitting, we can increase the rpm's and charge without worrying about the exhaust system buildup. May or may not be worth it, still uncertain.

So far, it seems to work nicely, but haven't put it to its paces yet either.

This was a good reference article:
https://www.adventurousway.com/blog/rv-electrical-upgrade-part-3-dc-charger-truck-12v-socket

The Grey Goose
2017 Ford 350 DRW Flatbed / 2012 Northern-Lite 10-2
https://thegreygoose.net

moonlitsouls

Everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/21 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alright guys thanks a lot for the ideas. i think i will feed the cable through the bed of the truck right behind the rear cab window , feed the wire into the battery compartment , then use anderson connections inside the compartment itself , which should keep it safe.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/21 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used Anderson connectors when I added a high amp wiring upgrade to my truck.

When I upgraded to Battleborns earlier this year I installed a Victron DC to DC Charger in the camper

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> DC-DC Charger Wiring Input Suggestions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.