cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ever hear of this camping company? Harvest Host

Chuck___
Explorer
Explorer
Here is want I wrote to the Harvest Host for a reply.

At first glance I had great hope of becoming a member. I am looking for sites that are rural, quiet, farm, country sitting and forest sittings. I am retired and have a top of the line Mobile Suite 5th wheel and pull it with a newer Ford dually truck. To replace this RV sit up would be over $225,000.00 plus. So, this should give you some indication that I am not a homeless RV traveler. Don't get me wrong, I worked as a laborer most of my life and earned it the hard way.
Here are the obstacles I see before joining your program.

1. Only being able to stay 24 hours or overnight at the sites. Most of the people I know are looking for a quiet spot to stay for several days or a week/plus. After driving hundreds of miles or five plus hours in hopes to arrive at a vacation spot and having to leave the next morning or day doesn't appeal to me. Move everyday! Get out of here.

2. Not being able to see what the sites are like before signing up for a membership. I seen a lot of RV sites that look like Homeless camps and if you're not careful a person can be stuck in one of these dumps.

3. If your company and the Host do not have anything to hide, be open and truthful. I am willing to give references, pictures of my RV and so on, but I will be **** if I am going to travel hundreds of miles not knowing what the site is like and if it is a safe place for my family.

4. Your company sounds like a scam. Pay up front first $99.00 without being able to fully check out your sites and more.

5. Word of mouth travels fast. Like on RV.net. The Good, Bad and Ugly.
Chuck
21 REPLIES 21

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
I do agree completely with your #2 issue. Why they would hide the locations makes zero sense. They give some BS answer about the businesses wanting privacy but what business wants to hide from potential customers.

As a โ€˜grandfatheredโ€™ HH (Boondockers Welcome) member and host of two different sites I can tell you thereโ€™s numerous very good reasons for keeping the exact location confidential until a member & a host connect.

First and foremost, abuse, people showing up late, unannounced and often belligerent. I had space for several RVโ€™s at my airport that one of the tenants took upon themselves to publicize. In one case I had to jump in the car and drive there at 10pm because 2 RVโ€™ers (family travelling together) who had made arrangements showed up to find 4 toy haulers already there and a bunch of 20 somethings sitting around a campfire (in my parking lot !!) and telling them to go somewhere else, in a less than polite fashion.

I had to have LEO show up because they didnโ€™t believe I was actually the owner and that theyโ€™d had a few cold adult beverages and so couldnโ€™t drive. They were of the opinion that an airport must be public property. The LEOโ€™s assured them it was private property and that they were trespassing.

I have heard from others I know who host at their farm or business of other (but more minor) issues also. Previous โ€˜guestsโ€™ coming back unannounced was the primary one.

MRC54
Explorer
Explorer
This topic has come up many times in the last 6 months and is a true YMMV.

For us, we use both Harvest Hosts and Boondockers Welcome (now the same company, but keeping things separately). We've only full-timed since April, but have gotten our moneys worth. We normally use Boondockers for a one or two night stop while we're going from point A-B. We've had multiple stays with both, and every experience has been very positive. We prefer Boondockers because most places we have the option to stay multiple nights, and many have hookups. We just finished a six night stay in Centuria, WI at a 'hobby farm'. Super friendly folks, 50 amp power, and water. We visit an aunt in Luck, WI., just 10 minutes away. We're already planning another trip next spring.

We have a five night stay near Pensacola reserved with a Boondockers. Full hookups (dump on site but not at campsite). Most Boondockers Welcome sites that have hookups do ask for a donation, usually $5-$15/nite. More than worth it.
2021 Keystone Alpine 3712KB
2009 Sierra 3500 DRW

Full timing starting May 1

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it is also a matter of keeping track of who is a good camper that will repeat the place of stay.
If there is trouble the camper can be blocked.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was a member of Boondockers Welcome for a number of years and hosted quite a few campers over that time in my backyard. Always thought it was a better deal than Harvest Hosts (at least for me). But then Boondockers Welcome sold out to Harvest Hosts and HH quickly cancelled the Lifetime membership credits that I'd acquired with BW and now want me to join their organization for an annual fee. No thanks - cancelled my account that they'd transferred from BW to HH.

HH seems more interested in having paying members camp at places of business who can offer some dry camping spots, unlike BW which allowed individuals to host others and for campers to find individuals willing to host them for a night or two. Members paid a small annual fee to use the resources and hosts paid nothing and acquired lifetime credits for hosting.

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
It's not necessarily a scam but you misunderstand their purpose.

They are not intended to provide sites for you to stay a week in the wilderness. The idea is a winery/brewer/golf course/etc... offers to let you spend the night (typically without utilities) in a field or back lot with the expectation you patronize the business.

That is EXACTLY how HH markets to host properties and the intent of the program. It's to bring retail business to the host properties. The properties aren't RV parks nor do they have RV sites, but are perhaps situated that an RV could reach them and fit in a cleared area of the property so that boondocking is do-able.

HH recommends you spend a similar amount to a site fee at a campground when you stay at a host property. That's also part of their marketing to the host property - camper X would normally pay $30 for a campground, but they will spend that $30 at your gift shop instead if you allow boondocking overnight and then leave.

HH sites are not RV parks, and if one wants a multi-day stay, one is better served by looking for a campground/RV park.
2017 LTV Unity

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
wapiticountry wrote:
They hide it because they know the host couldn't care less if you are a member or not. They get no site fee. They get nothing from the Harvest Host company other than advertising. I am sure 99.9% of the hosts would let someone stay under the exact same terms who weren't HH members. There is actually no difference to them, financially or otherwise. Only Harvest Host company has a vested interest in keeping the info secret until you join. It is their only incentive to get you to pay that $99.00. It is the only thing they offer for the $99.00. If you could get it for free, why pay?

That's consistent with what I suggested and I completely understand.

What rubs me the wrong way is they feel the need to feed a bunch of BS about the hosts wanting "privacy" and being "upsetting" to the hosts in their FAQ. Just be honest that it's because they don't want people who don't sign up abusing the system.:

Quote from HH FAQ: Out of respect for our Hosts privacy, complete details of the Host locations are only available to members. Please understand that if we released the Host information to the general public, too many people would abuse the info, upsetting the Hosts and harming the program. We don't want to put our Hosts in the awkward position of having to turn away people who are not in the program and think they are RV locations.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Gottahaveit
Have a few friends that have been members for years and love it. They are not retired and a one night stay is all they need. We have alot of wineries that also have venues with bands etc. in our area and a place to park works for them. It's not for us but it's an excellent opportunity for alot of folks. Note: it was only $35 to join when they did, however even at $99 would be worth it for some.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
I think he'd be happier at a KOA
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is just $99. If HH does not suite your needs skip it the next year. Why beat it down without giving it a go.

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
We love HH! We have met some of the nicest people, hosts and guests. Most times we spend more than a campground would charge but we come home with lovely wines and cheeses. At most HH you feel like a real guest rather then a paying customer. It's not for everyone.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
Haha! yes it isn't for everyone. We've been HH members for years. It's a much better overnight stopover than a Walmart or other crowded busy place. Most HH places we've stayed are out in the country at a farm or winery, along a river or other peaceful setting. All of the hosts we've met are very nice, yes they usually have products to sell but we've never felt obligated to buy anything. We've tasted and bought some very nice wines and farm products but that is what we would have purchased at a store anyway.

dedmiston
The posts that I've seen here have been overwhelmingly positive, but this thread is proof that it isn't for everyone.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
It's not necessarily a scam but you misunderstand their purpose.

They are not intended to provide sites for you to stay a week in the wilderness. The idea is a winery/brewer/golf course/etc... offers to let you spend the night (typically without utilities) in a field or back lot with the expectation you patronize the business.

I do agree completely with your #2 issue. Why they would hide the locations makes zero sense. They give some BS answer about the businesses wanting privacy but what business wants to hide from potential customers.

They indicate that your purchases are the only benefit the business receives. So my guess is hosts don't really care if you are an official member. They make the same amount if you are officially a member or not. So this is a way for the parent company to make sure you buy a membership.

We considered it but decided not to join as we couldn't determine if there were sites suitable for our needs. With 1 night, it would be mostly when we were just quickly passing thru an area and if we have to drive 10-20miles off our route, it's not worth the trouble.
They hide it because they know the host couldn't care less if you are a member or not. They get no site fee. They get nothing from the Harvest Host company other than advertising. I am sure 99.9% of the hosts would let someone stay under the exact same terms who weren't HH members. There is actually no difference to them, financially or otherwise. Only Harvest Host company has a vested interest in keeping the info secret until you join. It is their only incentive to get you to pay that $99.00. It is the only thing they offer for the $99.00. If you could get it for free, why pay?

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I too was going to join. But after seeing what other members posted as where they got to stay, no thanks! Itโ€™s a **** shoot! Not worth it and definitely not with not even electric hookup!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!