cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I need help removing my broken water heater drain plug

albow
Explorer
Explorer
I was removing it to winterize today and about 1/4 turn out, it broke off. I guess I tightened too tight before. I've had the same thing happen on my boat pontoon so I learned to take a drill bit and wallow out an indentation in a spot, being careful not to scarf the threads, so that my file can fit in the hole just right and have something to grab, as this never happens to leave any part of the plug where you can grab it with pliers or anything. Well, apparently, my boat plugs are not nylon because this technique wouldn't work with my nylon heater plug. I essentially could not get a groove going for an ideal catch point. I can't believe I couldn't get this to happen. Fortunately, this hole is slightly smaller than my pontoon, so my file grabbed the soft nylon when I shoved it in far enough. Boy, did it grab! I shoved inward forcefully so it wouldn't spin, but I couldn't get it to budge. Then, I but some locking pliers on the file to get leverage to rotate it. It held so strongly that I broke my file (it was a half round mf for those of y'all who remember the joke). It still didn't budge. So, I'm at a loss as to how to remove the rest of it. My best guess at this point is to stick a lighter in the hole and try to melt it away but I'm not crazy about the possibility of getting some melted plastic in the tank. Would the chances of that be minimal, since the drain is angled towards the ground a little instead of parallel? I tested burning the part of the plug that did come out with the head and it turns black and slowly melts. Any better or easier ideas? BTW, the head is 22mm which correlates to around 7/8" but I'm just seeing 1/2" plugs. Is that actually the same plug and the inner diameter is actually 1/2"? Thanks.
Alan & Tommie. 2003 Dodge 3500 SRW SLT Quad Cab, Cummins 5.9 HO, 6 speed manual and 3.73's. 2007 Pilgrim Legends Mid Profile 33RKS-M5 5th wheel, Prodigy, Superglide 14K hitch (already very glad I got it).
23 REPLIES 23

albow
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I didn't post a conclusion to this. By now, I have forgotten exactly how I removed it but it seems like I grabbed what I could with pliers or vice grips and plied, pull, tore it out I think. Unfortunately, threads were boogered just enough that I couldn't get even a metal plug to run in and clean the threads, primarily because the very edge got boogered as well, thus preventing anything from starting. I believe I then minimally got a tap started, ran it in slightly, then replaced it with the metal plug, which I kept advancing as far as I could comfortably and following it again over and over with the metal plug, then finally inserting the plastic plug. Either the threads are longer on the new plugs or I don't have it fully inserted, but it feels as tight as I want to chance. I will know once I hook up next spring, at which time I believe some teflon tape will finish the job if it is leaking. I certainly hope so lol. Thanks everyone.
Alan & Tommie. 2003 Dodge 3500 SRW SLT Quad Cab, Cummins 5.9 HO, 6 speed manual and 3.73's. 2007 Pilgrim Legends Mid Profile 33RKS-M5 5th wheel, Prodigy, Superglide 14K hitch (already very glad I got it).

trailrider
Explorer
Explorer
albow wrote:
trailrider wrote:
Go to the hardware store and buy a "sprinkler riser removal tool." I have removed several with one of these, works perfect.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-and-3-4-in-Plastic-Nipple-Extractor-26076/100203404
Well, that didn't work. It sure gripped but I couldn't turn it. I'm going to get my stronger neighbor to give it a go and then try something else. I wonder if it's because it's nylon and the sprinkler heads are maybe pvc?

It has never failed me on any I've removed.
2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD GAS!!!
1978 Chevrolet Silverado K20 4x4
2007 Komfort 277TS
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory
2018 Honda Rancher TRX420FA6
2017 Montesa 4RT260
2021 Honda CRF450X

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
albow wrote:
trailrider wrote:
Go to the hardware store and buy a "sprinkler riser removal tool." I have removed several with one of these, works perfect.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-and-3-4-in-Plastic-Nipple-Extractor-26076/100203404
Well, that didn't work. It sure gripped but I couldn't turn it. I'm going to get my stronger neighbor to give it a go and then try something else. I wonder if it's because it's nylon and the sprinkler heads are maybe pvc?

With a tool like that you are expanding the plug making it even tighter.
Heat up a screwdriver and melt a couple groves (top and bottom) in the plug right down to the metal water heater threads.
Then take the screwdriver (once cooled), place it between the plug and the water heater thread and pry the plug out.

albow
Explorer
Explorer
Stonger neighbor didn't work. Trying other options tomorrow.

albow
Explorer
Explorer
trailrider wrote:

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if you could get a hacksaw blade or simmiler inside there, but on old metal drain pipes you used to cut it from the inside out to the threads, in like 4 spots then it just falls out. You need to use like a keyhole saw one. Not a full hacksaw.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a set of easy-outs in my tool box just for this purpose. Picked up at Harbor Freight a few years ago when my heater plug split. needed again today when the replacement plug split. The Camco plugs last a couple of years then its easy-out time again. ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
As I recall talking with Attwood you want to ONLY use the nylon plug. It is also used as a safety device designed to blow out if pressure gets too high. I know that's what the pressure relief valve is for. Just say that's what I heard for an Atwood rep.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the plug with a st. ell, then a ball valve. Makes if easy to drain the tank.

I looked and see I didn't use a st. ell, there was room for the ball valve plus a brass garden hose adapter straight from the tank.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
trailrider wrote:

Excellent suggestion! If that doesn't work, melting it out might work, and I wouldn't worry about any getting inside.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

albow
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody. I'm going to give the first suggestion a shot.

albow
Explorer
Explorer
#1Flyboy wrote:
If the remaining threads are of plastic or nylon, you could heat up a screwdriver head & melt a grove/ slot in the material. Then cool down the screwdriver head & unscrew the remainderโ€ฆA picture of your problem would be helpfulโ€ฆ.
Essentially what I did with the drill. I had plenty of traction. Enough to break my file.

albow
Explorer
Explorer
DancinCampers wrote:
I had one break off on my previous coach. I used a pocket knife to lift up an edge, then needle nose pliers to twist it out.
Not enough to grab even if I made a piece loose like you suggest. Thanks

albow
Explorer
Explorer
trailrider wrote:

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.