cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"All-terrain" step stool??

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are times when I need a step stool that can adapt to uneven surfaces -- we mostly boondock, and an ordinary step stool can't cope with rocky and un-level ground. Probably would have adjustable legs, I guess.

Do you know of a product that fills this need? Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom.

(And if someone takes this idea and makes millions off of it, I will be your first customer!)
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
10 REPLIES 10

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
I think I just found a possible solution -- it is kind of low to the ground for what I had in mind, but it's a start:

Possible solution

We have the same step and love it. We use it on our B with double side doors and I made a mount for it on the second door for storage. To minimize rattles my wife made a sleeve for it out of soft naugahyde like material.

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
...oops double post
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used a shallow wooden box turned upside down until someone decided they needed it more than I.

So I now use two of these from Harbor Freight. Zip tied two together and it works (about the same size of the steps). Not the best but better than others so far. It does not sink into mud as much, about the right height and will fold up (priced at $7 each). Wood blocks are no bueno, they flip over easy and attract mud. Steps with round legs submerge into soft sand and mud.

https://www.harborfreight.com/one-step-folding-stool-black-57576.html?_br_psugg_q=step+stool
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could try the orange plastic leveling blocks that most RVers have for leveling the trailer and/or raising the tongue jack higher off the ground. Their sharp edges bite into the ground fairly well. They are of course stackable in varying heights as desired and sold at all RV stores and Walmart, etc. Two stacks side by side may do the job and you may already have some. They use to be cheap to buy but now with roaring inflation

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
phillyg wrote:
Allow me to be a wisenhimer(sp) and opine that wood blocks can be helpful.

You were close. ๐Ÿ™‚

wisยทenยทheimยทer
/'wiz?n?him?r/
Learn to pronounce
nounINFORMALโ€ขUS
a person who behaves in an irritatingly smug or arrogant fashion, typically by making clever remarks and displaying their knowledge

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a similar one to the posted link and it works great.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Allow me to be a wisenhimer(sp) and opine that wood blocks can be helpful.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon has one by Camco with adjustable legs from 7.5 to 9 inches.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been using the fixed step version for years. The only negative experience we have is if the feet sink into the mud the black rubber foot pads detach when you pull it out. It can be difficult pulling the pads out of the mud with pliers. If I'm going to place it in the mud I leave the legs folded up.

Other than that it's a great step
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think I just found a possible solution -- it is kind of low to the ground for what I had in mind, but it's a start:

Possible solution
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."