cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Broken black water pipe

mrgreetis
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Keystone Springdale 179QBWE and a stump had a disagreement with my black tank waste pipe. There is a crack at the bottom of the pipe where it seems to exit the black tank. It looks like it might be in the glue or sealant used to mount the pipe to the tank but I don't know. My question is "what kind of connection is there between the pipe and tank"?
I've seen you tube videos where it looks like it is a slip fit with an o-ring and then sealant around the outside. Others where it seems like just the cement bond is there.
If I can get this info, I can determine if I can fix it myself or need to take it to a shop.
Also, what is a source for the ABS fittings including a new dump valve and mounting brackets?
Thanks in advance for any help on this. Mike
7 REPLIES 7

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
My 2007 trailer's black tank is made from black roto molded poly as are most modern made black tanks, since ABS is subject to cracking from impacts by rocks and road debris. ABS doesn't flex as easy as poly and cracks easier when the contents eventually freeze.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Black ABS can be sealed and repaired with plasti-mend. Amazon or direct. I had a cracked tank that I repaired and it is holding for almost ten years now.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
If the tank is black it is likely ABS, (most black/grey water tanks are ABS) Off white is usually polyethalene which needs spin welds.

If it is ABS and the pipe is black ABS (likely) you may be able to cut and replace the broken section with ABS pipe from hardware stores. They use the same ABS pipe used in houses. And since the pipe isn't under pressure if it is a narrow crack grind up some section of ABS pipe, mix it with ABS cement, and fill the crack. it will set and harden quickly. if he crack is in the tank itself, if you can find a section of flat ABS you could use ABS cement to solvent weld it to the bottom of the tank for at least a temporary fix.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
A picture might be help to determine what to do in order to do the proper fix.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Often the fittings on the water and waste tanks are "spin welded" into place. They are not removable without breaking the weld and, as far as I know, are very difficult to replace because most glues and caulks will not stick to the tank material.
Were it me, I would leave it up to a dealer or RV repair facility to do the work.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can you post any pictures of what the problem area is? Maybe you will get more responses.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of the parts are available on Amazon or through CW. Etrailer also has GREAT pricing on parts. All the ABS parts can be had at any big box hardware retailer. You might search the internet to which fittings match what you have, or post a picture or two here for reference.