cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any 80mph PLUS - class Aers still on here ?

LandYacht35dies
Explorer
Explorer
... I remember having some discussions with some of them .....

They could never offer a counter RATIONAL opinion to ......

If you’re in a hurry.... take a JET PLANE !! ... other than that .., set the cruise for the sweet spot of your motor homey and enjoy the scenery!
29 REPLIES 29

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Mine will do 80, but I have no desire to get 3 mpg to maintain 80 mph. She's happy around 65 and can be driven with 1 finger on the wheel.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

03Ultra
Explorer
Explorer
I tend to have a heavy foot, but I try very hard to go with the flow of traffic and expand the distance in front of me as speed increases. I'm not the fastest or the slowest - I'm going with the flow! I am limited to 80 MPH though, so if the flow is going faster than that I have to move out of the line.
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
2004 Itasca 36M Workhorse
2018 Toyota Tundra
2021 Toyota Highlander

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I usually set my cruise on 65, have gone 75 or better a few times but not for long. I would hate to blow a tire at even 65 let alone 80 mph! To each is own.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Questions for you air brake equipped 80 mph folks:

After you react to the need for emergency braking at 80 mph how far does your motorhome travel from the time you stomp the foot valve until the brakes apply?

What is the correct control input at 80 mph when you blow a steer tire?

If you blow a steer tire at cruise speed like what is shown in the first 1 minute of this video which ditch do you prefer to flop it in?

you toob link

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
Ford V-10's are limited to 75MPH unless coasting down hill. Don't know when that started.

Fast RV drivers are like bold pilots.

Yep, that is the usual BS spouted by non-pilots, and non-history buffs. As a 75 year old pilot myself I might mention just a few BOLD pilots like Chuck Yeager who died at 97, Bob Hoover died at 94, Jimmy Doolittle died at 96, and John Glenn made it to 95. There are plenty of old bold pilots and I hope many RV drivers make it just as long as these pilots and, like most pilots, do not exceed their limitations as defined by their own abilities. :R

A bit sensitive aren't we? There are exceptions to every general truism. Most people realize that.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Check the speed rating on your tires. L is 75 and M is 81.
2014 American Eagle

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
hohenwald48 wrote:
Ford V-10's are limited to 75MPH unless coasting down hill. Don't know when that started.

Yep, that is the usual BS spouted by non-pilots, and non-history buffs. As a 75 year old pilot myself I might mention just a few BOLD pilots like Chuck Yeager who died at 97, Bob Hoover died at 94, Jimmy Doolittle died at 96, and John Glenn made it to 95. There are plenty of old bold pilots and I hope many RV drivers make it just as long as these pilots and, like most pilots, do not exceed their limitations as defined by their own abilities. :R

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I normally stay within 5mph of speed limit, too many ups and downs in our neck of the woods to just drop it in cruise 100% of the time. On our last trip my DW had an appointment and left in our toad while I drove our rig home, I drove around 70mph and she drove 80+mph, a three hour drive for me and she arrived home just about 20 minutes earlier. She was somewhat shocked to see me arrive so soon as she was still getting ready for her appointment.

A storm was blowing through it was pretty windy that day, sure driving 80mph would have got me home a tiny bit faster, driving a 40' long, 12.5' tall square box through turbulent gusts funneled by valleys, canyons, and mountain passes is certainly less impactful at 70mph. Pretty much 99% of the time I drive according to current weather and road conditions, I have no chip on my shoulder or ax to grind if I have to pass someone or when I get passed.

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
If one wants to wear out their equipment and get poor mileage running at 80, go for it. But don't complain when things prematurely wear out or tires fail.
Me? I run 65-68 which nets me good MPG.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I occasionally slow down to 80, when I'm not in a hurry.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything. Charles Kuralt

While our classic coach can maintain those speeds, we usually are on roads that will not and we like it that way.

Matt

One often wonders what was on Charles Kuralt's mind as he wondered what was up ahead around the next curve?

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Love setting the cruise at 85 and enjoy being in front of everyone. My F53 was saddled with a 75mph limit from the factory. A tune took care of that. I could’ve eliminated it altogether but I decided to set it at 120mph (didn’t want to be careless)! Now every slow poke cruising along at 65-70 can just watch me go one by!

Lead, Follow, or get out of the way!!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my Monaco the limiter kicks in at 84. Then the engine just flattens out.