Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: What causes soft floors
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What causes soft floors

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
mkenyon2

Lebanon, PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/21 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What causes soft spots in floors? What can be done to prevent that? How serious is it?

I'm guessing soft spots are areas where the subfloor (plywood or OBS) has gotten moisture and weakened. I'm wondering if it happens more when parked on a grassy lot vs a paved area?

I also understand that how serious it is is subjective to the area that's gotten soft and the model of trailer.

My question comes up as I look for a used travel trailer and have seen some nice ones with soft spots.

MK out of PA and My Wifey
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/21 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep. Dryrot. Usually found under sinks, in front of shower/toilets, and sometimes a window or vent left open. Very seldom does it happen from below.

Mfan

Otsego,Mi

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/21 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could be the construction method too. I've seen the floor have a sheet of Styrofoam between 2 sheets of plywood. Hallway was spongy

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/21 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some RV floors have a sandwich type of construction where foam is in the center. That type can weaken with use till there is a total failure.

Others use a plywood or OSB material that will fail if it gets wet.

The repair for each type is complete replacement of the affected area. Search for videos that will help you with the project.

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/21 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bad design and use of interior low cost material.

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/21 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is what feels like a "soft spot" in the floor of my trailer. It is the only spot in the floor that flexes slightly as I step on it. It is an unsupported seam where 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood flooring come together.

The seam crosses over the heat duct which runs down the center of the trailer. The duct is stapled directly to the underside of plywood flooring. It does make the center isle warm for the feet when getting up in the morning or getting up to go to the bathroom at the back of the trailer when winter camping.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/21 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our camper has a sandwich floor and there is a tunnel in it for wiring to go to the other side from the load center. It definitely deflects when stepped on but hasn’t gotten worse over the years.
You may be seeing the same thing in some of the units you have looked at.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/21 10:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am sure some manufactures use CDX or OSB3,4 plywood but the floor I had to fix in our 2016 Sand Sport was neither of those. I suspect it was OSB 1or 2 both of which are not water resistant. There is nothing wrong with OSB category 3 or 4 in wet locations.

If you feel a soft spot in the floor the plywood has rotten from repeated water intrusion.

1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I noticed on mine there is a section right in the kitchen that is not as solid as the rest of the coach. Turns out that's right where the black water tank is...meaning there is not a cross beam between the frame rails for the width of the black tank...about 4 feet. So in that area, as far as I can see the 2x2 with 3/4" tongue and groove float happily over that span.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/21 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Worse case scenario is a roof leak....water seeping down the walls and absorbed by floor.
When looking at used trailer's it would be prudent to avoid any and all trailer's that have soft floors. Imo

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What causes soft floors
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.