cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help-can't get Tully into the car due to size-RESOLVED

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Need some suggestions. Tully grew much faster than we anticipated and is already over 50 lbs. Both of us drive Jeeps-hubby has a Wrangler and I have a Grand Cherokee. Both sit high off the ground. We have a set of collapsible steps but they are proving to be logistically problematic. We taught our springers to put their feet on the bumper so we could just lift their butts in but Tully is very resistant to that. It may just take more time, which I don't have-we just started a 7 week training class two weeks ago and I may have to drop out because I can't get him in the vehicle. At this point I can still get him out-at his current growth rate my ability to do so will end soon. We've thought about a ramp but I'm afraid I'll just run into the same logistical issues. Short of buying a new car like a minivan I'm not sure what to do.

Any suggestions will be welcome, including ramps (or steps) that are lighter weight and easily packable.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
21 REPLIES 21

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm so glag Tornado-dog has decided to stop his growing spree. At 10 months, he's currently the size of a border collie which is as large as any jack russell should be.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Hmmmmm
Holds 150 lbs
So what do you do next month?
:W

This is more true than you realize! 53 lbs and will be 5 months old next week LOL! He's averaging about 2-3 lbs a week weight gain right now.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Keep the step in mind for the RV as the dogs get older.

No RV right now but that 5th wheel we looked at over the summer is always in the back of our minds

I always remember my boxer when I was a kid. She could climb a ladder.

LOL! My husband grew up with boxers. He taught one to climb a ladder. His mother was ready to kill him over it LOL!

Today will be the test to see if I spoke too soon. Tully has a vet appointment this morning. Hopefully he hasn't forgotten what he learned yesterday!

Douglas Adams

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
I’m happy you found a solution
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crowe wrote:
Sometimes things just work out. I was on my way home from a doctor's appointment and on a whim went into the pet store we frequent to look for a ramp. We've avoided ramps because as others have said most are flimsy. This one is not. It's 5 feet long and holds up to 150 lbs, fits perfectly in area of the bumper below the license plate, only weighs 10 lbs and folds in half. It's still a bit large folded but will easily fit in the front seat. Within 5 minutes Tully was going up and down it like a champ. Hopefully he will still be that way when I take him to the vet tomorrow!

BCSnob/Toadtoes, my husband had thought about using a stool or step of some sort. That was our next thought before I decided to try the ramp.

Thanks, all!

Keep the step in mind for the RV as the dogs get older. It worked better than the built in steps for Moose-dog. Tornado-dog is super flexible, so I suspect he'll be OK with the more narrow steps.

I always remember my boxer when I was a kid. She could climb a ladder. She was the only dog who could go into our garage loft. And she could climb up the playground slides - she'd slide down them.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Hmmmmm
Holds 150 lbs

🙂
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I know my Collies prefer a ramp to steps. My homemade ramp I've used to load a 300# scooter so no fear of collapse.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer

PUNT LOL!

Douglas Adams

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmmm
Holds 150 lbs

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes things just work out. I was on my way home from a doctor's appointment and on a whim went into the pet store we frequent to look for a ramp. We've avoided ramps because as others have said most are flimsy. This one is not. It's 5 feet long and holds up to 150 lbs, fits perfectly in area of the bumper below the license plate, only weighs 10 lbs and folds in half. It's still a bit large folded but will easily fit in the front seat. Within 5 minutes Tully was going up and down it like a champ. Hopefully he will still be that way when I take him to the vet tomorrow!

BCSnob/Toadtoes, my husband had thought about using a stool or step of some sort. That was our next thought before I decided to try the ramp.

Thanks, all!

Douglas Adams

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
How much height do you need for the step?

I have a couple of these and they work well. For a long dog, they do nice as they give him a wide platform to stand on. It was the only step Moose-dog would use - everything else was jumped over regardless of how it was set up.

I've never seen a ramp that was convenient for anything but a truck. They are either too flimsy for a big dog or they are too big and bulky to fit inside a vehicle.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Do you think the steps you have are too small or closely spaced for your dog?
Do you think a foldable step stool or work platform would be large enough and tall enough for your dog to make it into your vehicles?

11.2 x 8.5 x 11 inches stool

Or
24.5 x 26 x 13.3 inches Al Platform
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Mark (BC Snob) it's not a training issue. It's logistically trying to handle the current stairs we have along with a large, active puppy, hence why I'm looking for other ideas. Lighter steps that compress easier may help.

Colliehauler, the other issue is I transport him in a Jeep Wrangler. Would need a ramp that's collapsible.

Douglas Adams

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to add I bought a expensive fiberglass reinforced ramp with carpet. I hated it way to heavy and cumbersome.