cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Question

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
I just got portable solar panels and plan to put them out during the day while we explore the national parks. Since I will not be present to face the panel to the sun throughout the day, how should I face the panel initially for the best all day placement. Thanks
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler
6 REPLIES 6

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Good info, thanks
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
This time of year a little bit of tilt to the south will help. If you get morning clouds turn a bit to the east.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Slightly west of south.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
easy peasy way to get them oriented for max power it to take an old tP tube, put stand it up on the panel and orient the panel for minimum (zero) shadow.

Now optimum placement will vary during the day, but the above done at a reasonable hour will get you oriented for pretty good all day orientation.

Where you are will have a big impact on the angle. But in all cases you will want the panel facing roughly south if you want the panels working all day w/o constant attention of direction.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Flat on the ground
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Back when I use to tilt my panels I would tilt at 45 degrees aim them just a little bit east of due south so that could start charging in the morning. My batteries were charged by noon. I started with two 160 watt panels. Now I don't tilt because I have more panels.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.