cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First RV Grand Design vs Keystone cougar

livinthelife67
Explorer
Explorer
Were buying our first rv. Was sold on a bumper pull but the fifth wheels have me questioning that decision. We've looked at several of both and found, both a nice reflection in the 150 series and a Keystone Cougar. We want to be able to take it into the mountains and not just park it on a slab.

Thoughts on each design ??!!
14 REPLIES 14

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed, but the OP said nothing about a half ton truck but people saw 150 and assumed it.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
capacitor wrote:
I didnโ€™t see any mention of 1/2ton truck, only GD in 150 series.

Yep, some of the Reflection 150 Series floorplans are claimed to be under 7000 lbs "dry" - and are advertised as being "half-ton towable".

Still, 7000 lbs dry is probably not too far from 9000 lbs typical wet - which is definitely a handful for any half-ton.

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
I didnโ€™t see any mention of 1/2ton truck, only GD in 150 series.

Brandon_the_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
Brandon the Traveler wrote:
tommyznr wrote:
bikendan wrote:
livinthelife67 wrote:
Were buying our first rv. Was sold on a bumper pull but the fifth wheels have me questioning that decision. We've looked at several of both and found, both a nice reflection in the 150 series and a Keystone Cougar. We want to be able to take it into the mountains and not just park it on a slab.

Are you saying you want to tow a 5th wheel with a 1/2 truck? If so, you need to post the specs of your 1/2 truck.
Bottom line is that very few 1/2 trucks can tow a 5th Wheel.

Post #1: Can you tell me about Courtland apples vs Honey Crisp apples?

Post #2: You need to post what kind of bag you have. You cannot carry those apples in just any bag.

๐Ÿ˜› :R

LOL.....You evidently have members of the weight police in every crowd.

Ah! A member here for only 2 days, is already criticizing.:R

Ah! Is there a minimum time limit? The OP asked for info regarding the differences between two brands, and you instantly fired back your typical weight police nonsense. Just like you always do here and on at least 2 different other forums. Here's some breaking news pal. The campground I am in right now has quite a few 5th wheels that came here behind 1/2 ton pickups, and a good number of TTs @ 30' or longer pulled here by 1/2 tons also. They seem to have made it here ok and I'm sure they'll make it home.
I went.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Brandon the Traveler wrote:
tommyznr wrote:
bikendan wrote:
livinthelife67 wrote:

Are you saying you want to tow a 5th wheel with a 1/2 truck? If so, you need to post the specs of your 1/2 truck.

Post #2: You need to post what kind of bag you have. You cannot carry those apples in just any bag.

Ah! A member here for only 2 days, is already criticizing.:R
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Brandon_the_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
tommyznr wrote:
bikendan wrote:
livinthelife67 wrote:

I went.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Four years ago we traded our Heartland on a Grand Design and never looked back. Earlier this summer we did a 42 night, 6,000 mile road trip in it.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

tommyznr
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
livinthelife67 wrote:

Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
IIRC the grand design brochure has a section of 1/2 ton towables, don't remember if they were TTs or 5ers however.
bumpy

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Design. Haven't owned one but almost bought one recently. Fit and finish was exceptional. Owned a Keystone 5'er when we first got into RVing. Not the best quality. We loved how the fifth wheel towed. Very easy. Agree that a 1/2 ton truck might not be big enough.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
grand design vs. keystone. no contest, GD all the way.
bumpy

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
Out of 150 brands of RVs, Keystone Cougar would be 149th because of the horrible lack of quality control.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Does โ€œnot just park it on a slabโ€ mean you want to boondock in minimally developed camping areas, or in BLM type areas?

The GD 150 series GVWRs are 10-11,000 lbs and the Cougar are similar with a couple models going over 11,000. Toward the upper limits of most newer 150/1500 posted tow ratings but pin weights may be too much. Certainly within 250/2500s.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
livinthelife67 wrote:

Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes