cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Latest project...parking pad for our cargo trailer

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 6 x 10' cargo trailer has been an integral component for our many camping adventures for 3 years. I tow it behind our 24' Class C usually loaded with either our Rzr SXS or my Can Am Spyder. Destinations determine which toy to bring and we have nearly 25,000 miles towing the trailer.

For the last year I have squeezed in onto the north side of my driveway but it encroaches too much and is far from level. I finally made the run to Home Depot for 8 - 9" x 7" by 8' railroad ties that will form the pad for the trailer. The guys at HD loaded the ties 2 at a time {they weigh 150# a piece} using a forklift. I wrestled them out of my Honda Ridgeline ONE at a time.

Once they were stacked adjacent the build site the digging commenced. I hope to get the site dug down 4 to 6" and backfilled with small gravel so as to be level with the asphalt driveway. I'll drill the ties with a 3/8" bit and drive 2' 3/8" rebar to secure them in position. The last step will be to ramp gravel at each end.

Here are a couple of pics... definitely a work in progress:

Yep ,my little 570 RZR tows the {empty} 1200# trailer just fine.

Done for the day and at my age {70 next month} it is time for an Ibuprofen and a soak in the jacuzzi... I'll get back to it tomorrow {maybe?}

:B
22 REPLIES 22

dedmiston
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Pic above is what I was suggesting without the straps. I used 1/2" x 2' rebar dowels. Looks good!

Here is what I see. I obviously see the pic above. I have a Mac so I have no settings. This is an unusual issue. Maybe it can be posted again, don't want to miss out!

Here's the text from the shirt I saw on Monday at Disney World:

If you have to choose between being right and being kind
Choose being kind
And you will always be right

I thought of you when I saw that shirt.

Give kindness a try. You might like it.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Desert Captain wrote:
{mas y menos}

Ummm, mas o menos.

Y means "and"

O means "or"

I do pick nits.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pic above is what I was suggesting without the straps. I used 1/2" x 2' rebar dowels. Looks good!

Here is what I see. I obviously see the pic above. I have a Mac so I have no settings. This is an unusual issue. Maybe it can be posted again, don't want to miss out!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let me "splain" it to you Lucy...

At 55 yards long the asphalt driveway slopes a bit from the garage out to the street. I leveled the grade on the pad to match that slope. The top of the asphalt coincides with the top of the ties. I dropped 4,000+# of crushed granite into the pad varying between 4 - 6" deep and then aggressively compacted it alternating between soaking it down and driving over it repeatedly with my Rzr and then the truck.

After three days the surface was extremely firm. I then carved a 2" deep trench along the ties and the asphalt and filled that as well as the rest of the pad with the top layer of the larger concrete gravel {another 2,000#}. Once again I soaked it all down and compacted it further using my truck. The second pic shows this clearly, the asphalt, gravel and ties are all the same height {mas y menos} and the compacted top layer of gravel will remain in place.

Absent the ties that secure the pad and provide the requisite structure the gravel would be displaced and scattered across the asphalt every time it was driven on. Containing the gravel is the key... After 8 months the pad where I park the coach {which weighs 11,500#} is working out just fine with no gravel movement and great drainage which Lucy, is why I utilized the same construction technique for both pads.

Here is a pic of the coach pad and as noted you can see that the gravel stays put:

:C

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see the image. Check your settings.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
No image
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

dedmiston
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Deleted again, nice!

I saw this shirt yesterday.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
JRscooby wrote:
Good job!
It might not matter with the little trailer you have, but over decades I have learned that where you plan to run off the edge of asphalt it is better to have the grade higher than the pavement. If the tire drops off, it is more likely to crumble the edge. And once the edge breaks, it makes a new edge to break...

Good point, thatโ€™s why I โ€œsuggestedโ€ filling the gravel to the top of the asphalt once itโ€™s compacted.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good job!
It might not matter with the little trailer you have, but over decades I have learned that where you plan to run off the edge of asphalt it is better to have the grade higher than the pavement. If the tire drops off, it is more likely to crumble the edge. And once the edge breaks, it makes a new edge to break...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is DONE! Woo Hoo!
It took another 2,000+# of the larger concrete gravel but that was just the right amount. Total cost of this project came in as follows:

8 Railroad ties {at 150# a piece} 9' X 9" X 7" = $199.76
2' X 3/8" rebar {12} = $33.31
Gravel, 4,160# of the crushed granite = $30
2,110# of the concrete gravel = $20
Grand total - $283.07

It took 6 days working 4 to 6 hours a day {which is about all this ole man can handle}. I filled and dumped about 2 dozen wheel barrow loads of earth from excavating, putting in the ramp and adjusting the finished grade {I'm guessing each load was well over 100#}. :h By the time I finished it was close to 10,000# of earth, gravel and ties moved.

The trailer sits dead level with the right wheel centered precisely on the RR tie stringer. I recovered another foot of driveway improving my access nicely. With the load ramp down I still have enough space for the Rzr {or my Can Am Spyder} to load from behind.

Here are the finished pics:

:B:B:B

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Deleted again, nice!

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks... I am more than happy to share the details of my projects which is pretty much the point of this thread. Having done a very similar project last year to widen the pad for my coach this one was fairly straightforward to design and execute.

There are reasons for every thing I do on a job like this and unless you are on site some things might seem odd. I hope to wrap it up tomorrow with a ton {mas y menos} of the larger gravel that will be my top coat. My Honda Ridgeline has been getting a work out hauling all of the materials but with 1,477# of Payload it handles the loads well. I'll follow up with a final pic for two once I'm done. Thanks for the support.

:B

dedmiston
pitch wrote:
Looks like a fine job. It appears that you know just what you want and exactly how too achieve that.
Too bad that instead of cheering your initiative,some feel that their advice and criticism is warranted.

I couldn't agree more.

It's a sad twist of irony for you guys to be lectured on manners and compassion from pitch.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a fine job. It appears that you know just what you want and exactly how too achieve that.
Too bad that instead of cheering your initiative,some feel that their advice and criticism is warranted.