cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LAND BORDER DUE TO OPEN EARLY NOVEMBER

HereWeGoJoe
Explorer
Explorer
There's going to be a lot of happy Canadians heading south this winter again according to the latest news released a good half hour or so ago.

US to open Land Borders between Canada and Mexico to double vaccinated folks. More info to follow on Wednesday, so be interesting to see what testing or restrictions get placed on travellers.

Wondering what the travel insurance costs for snowbirds and the amount of coverage if adequate will be moving forwards.

Here's to a warmer winter this year for many.

HWGJ
30 REPLIES 30

cdnwayne
Explorer
Explorer
upddate (sorta): https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/molecular-tests-requirement-remain-border-open-1.6214317

cdnwayne
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, JaxDad. It's encouraging that Walgreens and CVS are options, (I should be able to find one), and more encouraging that they are free. Appointment is another issue (schedules are not a part of my travel plans!), but compromises are always possible. Trying to be very definitive at this point is also futile, I believe, because the situation could change with time. But I have more information now than before your reply.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
cdnwayne wrote:
My understanding is that Canadians returning via land will have to show results of a recent (72 hrs?)PCR test indicating no covid infection. Where and how do we get one? I am contemplating a trip south in January and returning vi Blaine > Vancouver or Pt Angeles > Victoria.

That is correct, a PCR or NAAT test less than 72 hours old. If however you’re going over & back in less than 72 hours you can get the test done in Canada before you go.

In the US most Walgreens and CVS’s I’ve been to in the south are doing the tests, by appointment, for free for Canadians.

Go online to pharmacies in the area you will be heading back home from and scout it out.

cdnwayne
Explorer
Explorer
My understanding is that Canadians returning via land will have to show results of a recent (72 hrs?)PCR test indicating no covid infection. Where and how do we get one? I am contemplating a trip south in January and returning vi Blaine > Vancouver or Pt Angeles > Victoria.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
noteven wrote:
I'm going to ride my motorcycle tomorrow. Possibly a bit over the speed mandate on gravel and dirt roads. And then dodge a few texting drivers on a main road or two. If I survive that I'm going to cook something high fat on the barbeque and then watch the sunset and northern lights.

Sounds like a fantastic day.

May I suggest a cold adult beverage or 3 to help in the digestion and to get over those problem drivers.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
JaxDad wrote:
noteven wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
noteven wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
I'm not sure I want to go south just yet.

As of yesterday:

84,154 new cases
1,480 new deaths

9,695,610 active cases.

Round up USA to 10,000,000 active / 350,000,000 population = 2857 active per 100,000 population.

Saskatchewan 73,057 active / 1,000,000 population = 7305 active per 100,000 population.

Do you practice any kind of gun safety?

Statistics say just 27,000 people a year are accidentally shot in the US, not much of a risk right?

330,000,000 people, 27,000 shootings, so less than 8.2 per 100,000 population per YEAR.

Do I practice “gun safety”? Yes, as I was trained.

This has to do what with the land border opening?

Just that there is risks in every breathe we take.

I apologize if it was taken personally brother, it was only meant as an illustration. Seatbelts, road safety, gun safety, food safety, everybody seems to be happy (or sad) with wildly differing levels of risk.

In a lot of cases it seems to be way more political than factual or based in science.

Apology accepted JaxDad - I understand what you meant now.

I'm pretty much done with the daily dose of fear mongering.

I'm going to ride my motorcycle tomorrow. Possibly a bit over the speed mandate on gravel and dirt roads. And then dodge a few texting drivers on a main road or two. If I survive that I'm going to cook something high fat on the barbeque and then watch the sunset and northern lights.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
noteven wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
noteven wrote:
pianotuna wrote:

As of yesterday:

84,154 new cases
1,480 new deaths

9,695,610 active cases.

Round up USA to 10,000,000 active / 350,000,000 population = 2857 active per 100,000 population.

Saskatchewan 73,057 active / 1,000,000 population = 7305 active per 100,000 population.

Statistics say just 27,000 people a year are accidentally shot in the US, not much of a risk right?

330,000,000 people, 27,000 shootings, so less than 8.2 per 100,000 population per YEAR.

Just that there is risks in every breathe we take.

I apologize if it was taken personally brother, it was only meant as an illustration. Seatbelts, road safety, gun safety, food safety, everybody seems to be happy (or sad) with wildly differing levels of risk.

In a lot of cases it seems to be way more political than factual or based in science.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
JaxDad wrote:
noteven wrote:
pianotuna wrote:

As of yesterday:

84,154 new cases
1,480 new deaths

9,695,610 active cases.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave, couldn't agree more. We're not Canadian, but for the last two years with Covid we really didn't change much of our travel plans. We used masks and social distancing and continued to enjoy ourselves.
Got our shots this past spring and hope to get a Booster once approved. More worried about the idiots on the road causing an accident than catching the virus.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Brandon_the_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
How many threads does a forum need to discuss a border reopening? Evidently at least 1/2 a dozen lol.
I went.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
White House says U.S. land borders to reopen to vaccinated travelers Nov. 8
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I have to wonder what is wrong with people that they feel the need to argue about this, but then there are some people on both sides of the border seem to want to argue about everything (such as the completely ridiculous arguments concerning fresh water tank usage under General RVing). If they open the border and you want to come south, come south. If you aren't comfortable then don't. It's entirely up to each individual. I'm heading south from New England and I'm more wary of crime than I am of Covid.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
noteven wrote:
pianotuna wrote:

As of yesterday:

84,154 new cases
1,480 new deaths

9,695,610 active cases.

HereWeGoJoe
Explorer
Explorer
At the end of the day folks when it comes to risk, it is everywhere in our every day lives we just all chose to take what paths we do with what odds work in our favour we personally feel at the time.

I for one am pleased to see that the USA is opening up for Canadians to go down there. Absolutely being in our MH apart from Groceries and Gas Fills (both of which we do anyway being ultra careful here in Alberta personally ourselves and limiting other exposures), I feel we personally are safer than most both for ourselves and to others.

Where some heavier spread and exposure, could come into play is those that cross the border once or twice a week for a few hours to buy cheaper gas and other items being border towns, and there were a lot of Canadians pre-covid that did just that. Those in cars that are travelling for sure will be exposing to more services such as restaurants, hotes/motels where it's harder to be more careful on exposure.

Pianatuner I appreciate genuinely and see your thoughts and concerns but what is confusing me is that when I compared the charts a while ago: Canada at I believe 73%+ double vaccinated (the highest), UK in the 60's double vaccinated and USA 56.8%, you look at and compare the hospitalisation and icu number charts Canada's looks waaaaay worse over time, than those countries that have less double vaccinated.

You say Sask' is the worse in Canada yet Alberta has just gone through being the worst of the worst according to all news outlets, as they brought in Vax passports to all non-essential businesses and are bringing in QR Codes only from 15th November. A lot of this is not making sense to us here, especially learning that a figure of 26 Deaths in Alberta several days back (we are having double digit deaths daily!) 5 were double vaccinated. Yesterday 38 deaths with the youngest in his 30's having no underlying conditions.

So in a nutshell, there are tons of us that can't make rhyme or reason out of what we have been told from the get-go, an updated info by officialdom and what we are seeing in the reported numbers. For sure, everyone has to do what their comfort level is and has been said (ideally without derogatory comments!), go or don't go. It's your decision and your comfort level, but this is going to be with us for a very, very, very long time.

Even with being vaxed, personally we are still masking, very much social distancing, avoiding unnecessary public exposure as much as we possibly can, sanitising till our hands are almost raw after touching, handling anything immediately (shop carts, gas pumps, elevator buttons, door handles IDs etc). That is our comfort level right now, but there are sadly many many others that think the vax is the be all and end all to carry on without thought of what we've all been trained since Mar 2020 to ideally do.

I for one hope and wish that the US border remains open,(who knows how long it might last???) and am now planning come December or January when the initial frenzy dies down somewhat, to make a trip south to our cousins.

Here's to a great Fall and winter season wherever we may end up this year.