cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Did your dog influence your trailer purchase?

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
For my overnight trips I purchased a small trailer. I needed floor space with two large Collies. I purchased a small Toy Hauler trailer. So it did influence my purchase.
8 REPLIES 8

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I have to admit that in 2006, after almost a month in Alaska in our 28' (slideless) Class C with a large 75# Aussie and a 55# Australian Cattle Dog gobbling up what scant floor space we had - I promised the next RV would have a slideout!!

Fast forward to now: we have a travel trailer with a slide; a truck camper; plus smaller dogs. Concessions were made on both sides ๐Ÿ™‚
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
When we sold our motor home and went back to a fiver that was because we liked the space and floor plan for us. It is hard to say but we know that Lucky and Lucie will not be with us forever since Lucky is on his 15th year. We did want a king bed however since Lucie sleeps with us.

One thing that did influence us was our current rig does not have sleeping space for anyone but us. Our golden years are just that OURS!
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Simply because we have dogs, we wanted to stay with an trailer for all our trips and avoid hassles with pet friendly or boarding.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Y-Guy
Between kids and dogs a King bed was/is a must.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
Years ago we used the dogs as an excuse to upgrade to our first class A MH with a slide out to provide space for three dogs. :B
I think your dogs should of held out for a Newell LOL

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not just the dogs, but the parrot and cats.

When I bought the clipper, I had originally thought of a van conversion, but it would have been too tight for Moose-dog and Bat-dog and me.

When I started looking at trailers, I knew I needed a bed big enough for the dogs, but also a counter spot that would fit the bird's travel cage. The Escape trailers were the only ones that had that counter space.

Then a friend saw an ad for the FoldnRoll. I had known about them but never thought I'd find one. It was perfect. It had two dedicated full size beds, one over the other - so the dogs could have their bed (lower) and the cats and I could have the top bed. And, it had a counter space separated by a wall from the stove top that the bird cage fit on perfectly.

When I bought it, the seller kept telling me that the counter spot was for the microwave (which he included in the sale). He just couldn't understand how I could put the bird cage there instead. Dog-bird loved that spot - he could watch right out the back door.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
No, the trailer is our space.

A little background for those who don't know how we RV. We use our trailer to go to sheep herding competitions where we camp in a pasture (no hook-ups) with our 6+ dogs. We wanted a trailer <24' long to facilitate getting in an out of these fenced pastures and we wanted 50+ gal of fresh water. These guided our trailer purchase.

The tow vehicle is ordered for the dogs.

A little over 20 years ago we ordered a cargo van with rear heat & AC, full windows, and rubber flooring to house all our dog crates and keep our dogs comfortable while on the road. This old van needs to be replaced and we will likely be special ordering a cut-away van on which we will have a Rockport body added (rear heat & AC, powered vents, windows, roll up rear door, curb side door with step, full insulation, rubber flooring, tie downs for dog crates, sliding door between cab and body, etc).

Dogs are brought into the trailer; we typically have 1-3 in at a time.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

dturm
Years ago we used the dogs as an excuse to upgrade to our first class A MH with a slide out to provide space for three dogs. :B
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV