cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Host, Eagle Cap, Lance Suspension Requirements

wjlapier
Explorer
Explorer
So, for now in our initial search we have narrowed it down to these three truck camper companies. We’ve talked and talked about why we would go from a Grand Design Imagine 2500RL TT to a truck camper. My wife wants the space the Lance 1172 provides. What we have been told is we would need to modify the suspension and tires. And wheels? Extra cost on top of the price of the camper and trading in the Imagine.

What is needed to be done for a 2019 Silverado 3500HD DRW truck to carry the 1172? I’ve been told nothing needs to be done to our truck for the Host Cascade. I haven’t heard anything yet regarding the big Eagle Cap campers.

Thank for any info you can share.
2019 Chevrolet 3500HD LTZ DRW
2023 Host Everest
21 REPLIES 21

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
Get yourself some Rancho 9000 shocks, The biggest diameter rear sway bar that you can buy, and have a spring shop add three leaves to each of the rear springs. Some airbags to help even out the load a little bit as needed are a good thing. Then of course make sure that you have some good load range e tires. That'll do it.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
I have everything and it does make a dramatic difference. My 1181 weighs in at about 5000 LBs and is 1200 Lbs. over the limit. Everything is after market because of my very hot rodded old truck.
Two extra leaves on each side.

Heavy duty short stroke shocks.

After market front and rear sway bars.

After market timbrens.

I just recently moved my spare to a front mounted receiver as well as moving the jack and impact gun forward in the cab. That help a ton with weight distribution and sway. I don't have a pic.
I don't take a complete tool box just the necessities, went from two small generators to one, I leave one 20# tank at home. No canned goods and liquids while traveling "Lots of weight"
All of these things dramatically improved the handling of my 26 year old hot rod truck.
I know its a bit more than the OP asked but I thought it was pertinent.
Joe

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
wjlapier wrote:
We ordered the Host Everest. Due for delivery April 2022. For now, we will have the Torklift tie downs installed with stableloads. Drive home ( over Snoqualmie Pass ) and see if we need anything else.

Our trips are mainly to the Tucannon area, the St Joe River in Idaho, and Babb, Montana.

I see you bought already... some good points where made here:

1. Weight is weight. (it does not matter which brand it is)
2. Get the camper loaded and do a test drive FIRST before you spend any money on suspension aids as the test drive will tell you:

A) Are your headlights pointing correctly? A camper will make most trucks 'squat' a few inches. How much is to much depends on the truck. IMHO: having oncoming traffic flash their headlights at you when you have the low beams on is to much.

B) Do you have 'to much' sway? Having a top heavy load like a modern camper in the bed will induce sway. Some people can tolerate more than others.

C) While loaded up ready for camping is the truck level side to side? Some campers place more weight on one side then the other.

While there are many folks that simply add tie downs (and optional 7-pin in the bed) and drive their truck ASIS/ASWAS from the factory, others do all sorts of suspension aids to help solve issues A-C above.

- Mark0.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Congrats on the new camper!
Little late to be concerned about weight but ….
Not to worry. Did you hit a scale? Host lists 3900lb bare weight. If typical adders apply, it’s maybe sitting at 4500lbs. Add 1000lbs for your “stuff” and you’re still sell within your axle and tire ratings.
May want that extra help of airbags and or a sway bar in the future though.
Fwiw, emptied our TC couple years ago. Everything for a family of 4 including extra camping gear, enough fishing gear for 10 people, lol and a likely above average amount of tools etc.
Total was a half dozen huge Rubbermaid tubs. Maybe 300lbs of stuff.
Figure we probably pack 100lbs + of food and drinks, 150lbs of clothes and 400lbs of water, that is 1000 lbs and the camper was full in every nook n crannie save for room for clothes.

You have nothing to worry about. Enjoy the summer!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
My guess almost everyone is over GVWR for all types of RVs. Bigger RVs just carry a lot more stuff.

Some people go 1000 or more over, but the question is how much do you want to go over and are you over the axle ratings? Where you weighed, did you have axle weights? My guess is you are good on axle ratings considering it is a DRW.

Also, if you ever tow something with a trailer, the tongue weight will work against your GVWR. If you were full of water/propane, you are nominally off. Many people estimate their stuff to be 500-1000. Water can be around 500 lbs on most Hosts, and a full fuel tank is significant as well.

I used to carry my current TC on a SRW. It made a huge difference if I had dumped the grey/black. I have no idea how much you’ll notice on your truck, or if the black or grey tank is farther forward on your floorplan.

If you want to be under GVWR sticker, a trade is in your future.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

wjlapier
Explorer
Explorer
Ride home from Monroe, WA was smooth most of the way. Took 203 to I-90 then I-82/12 to Walla Walla. Some heavy wind around Yakima which pushed us around a little but mostly an easy drive back. All we had installed were the stable loads. This is on a 2019 Silverado 3500HD DRW.

The tailgate had to come off ( question in another thread ).

Weight is a concern we are wondering about. 100lbs over already and nothing loaded in the camper. Hate to upgrade the truck already since we got it last fall. Just curious how much folks go over payload max.
2023 Host Everest

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
wjlapier wrote:
We ordered the Host Everest. Due for delivery April 2022. For now, we will have the Torklift tie downs installed with stableloads. Drive home ( over Snoqualmie Pass ) and see if we need anything else.

Our trips are mainly to the Tucannon area, the St Joe River in Idaho, and Babb, Montana.

May as well get a big sway bar while your at it.

Go put 2 pallets of bricks in the back and see how much it sags. Bout the same weight as the camper, except the campers center of gravity will be considerably higher. Same amount of dead load compression. A lot more live load body roll.

Going to need the sway bar and a whole lot more to carry the Everest comfortably/safely.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wjlapier wrote:

May as well get a big sway bar while your at it.

Go put 2 pallets of bricks in the back and see how much it sags. Bout the same weight as the camper, except the campers center of gravity will be considerably higher. Same amount of dead load compression. A lot more live load body roll.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
toddb wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
toddb wrote:
Skip the band aids and go to kelderman.

And you’re buying? Lol.

I already did 🙂

I’m sure the OP is very grateful for your gesture…

wjlapier
Explorer
Explorer

2023 Host Everest

toddb
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
toddb wrote:
Skip the band aids and go to kelderman.

And you’re buying? Lol.

I already did 🙂

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Here's the deal, there's no "magic" involved. It's all about weight. If one camper weighs 5000lbs and another camper weighs 5000lbs, one camper is not going to need suspension upgrades while the other one does.

Lance 1172 vs Host Cascade, they are not even close to the same camper. The Host is a smaller lighter camper by almost 800lbs.

Regardless of what you buy, it is not going to create a dangerous situation out of the box. You can load it at the dealer, take it home, even take it on a trip or two, and figure out what suspension modifications you need. Don't try to guess at what you might need. All the suspension mods do is level out your truck.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
reddrum wrote:
You will want a rear sway bar for sure. Shocks would be nice as well. Air bags or something fancier are that much better. Go weigh the truck and subtract that from GVWR to get your payload. Well worth the time to do. Then sort through the TCs weights. I have an Eagle Cap 1160 on a 3500 with sway bar, shocks, and air bags. It has been to 48 states over the years. Great truck and camper.

And with the stock tires your can still air them down for fishing on the beach!
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Beware about forum agendas, who will lead you into buying something you might not need.
Check the PM.