cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reseal roof on class A

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering completely replacing the sealant on my 40 ft. class A. It is in generally bad conditions and the 8" rain in 4 hours showed me leaks I never knew I had. I plan to scrape the old sealer out and don't really know what product is best. The entire coach is fiberglass. I have patched it from time to time with self-leveling Dicor. Don't remember the number. Some of replacement will have to be nonself-leveling and some self-leveling. I am located in the South where the Summer days can be brutal.

Since it's such a large project I will have to do segments at a time when the weather is suitable.
8 REPLIES 8

Jay58
Explorer
Explorer
Be SURE to follow the instructions for EternaBond,,,, Clean well, prime if required and DO NOT Strech the tape. Use a roller to assure proper contact. I have had a 96 HR Endeavor which had First Owner applied Eternabond which was still good a year ago when I sold it. (1996 to 2019)
The prep is always the determining factor. Do It once and leave it alone.
2020 Jayco Precept 34G

Central Florida (East Coast)

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I began removing the old Dicor ahead of applying the Eternabond. I can see why I had some minor leaks. Some of the Dicor did not adhere to the fiberglass very well. I'm sure part of that was because the preparation was not as diligent as it should have been. I do know the Eternabond will adhere where it is applied.

Lancslad
Explorer
Explorer
After 10 years in the sun my fiberglass roof developed microscopic cracks. I used RV Roof Majic on my 35ft Georgetown. Cost about $450 and it took me 4 days to resurface the roof. I took off the AC units and painted the roof underneath the gaskets (1 day dry time).
I now have a roof with no leaks.
2011 FR Georgetown 337DS
2003 Dodge Dakota Towed

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I plan to begin installing the 2 - 4" X 50' kit tomorrow. You will need to climb a tree or get on top of a nearby RV to see how neat or not it looks.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
Would it make sense to just Eternabond the entire thing instead?

I trust Dicor self leveling caulking far more than Eternabond tape for making a
Secure seal.
That and I think that Eternabond tape looks tacky!

LOL. The tape only goes over the edges where the trim covers the sidewall/roof-cap connection. Done neatly, if will look just fine...and last 50 years.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bruce Brown wrote:

I trust Dicor self leveling caulking far more than Eternabond tape for making a
Secure seal.
That and I think that Eternabond tape looks tacky!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I've thought about it. Just the fact that it can't be removed is making me think twice. Kind of like getting a tattoo. I would like to hear the downside to this solution from anyone with experience. I guess killing any mold ahead of time will be an absolute must. Sure would be simpler.

Bruce_Brown
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910