Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: delamination issue on side of TT, need suggestions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> delamination issue on side of TT, need suggestions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Caryite

the Triangle

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/21 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

Sounds like you have a good plan, the only thing I would add is if you use epoxy resin make sure the area is dry first. Acetone will help the drying process. It is a solvent and will flash off quickly removing the moisture. The second think I would add is when I did mine and it was a much larger area than yours, I used several car jacks and plywood caul plates to apply pressure against the side of a brick building. The spring suspension on the MH was not enough to react the pressure from the car jacks. In retrospect it would have been more stable if the hydraulic jacks were down. Do you know what the substrate is under the delamination? If it is luan and dry rather than particle board and you can push it in with your fingers you should be fine. If you think moisture is still there polyurethane glue will react with moisture and still bond well where as epoxy won't. Good Luck on your project.

Thanks, the epoxy resin arrived today and I plan to apply it tomorrow while temps are in the 60s. The high will be around 75. I will take pictures.

I have used acetone to remove much of the old caulk around the areas to have a flat surface.

It is luan behind the fiberglass and things have dried out considerably in the last few days with fall temps arriving and the humidity dropping into the 30s. The is no moisture within the area and all is very dry. I plan to have 4 wood sticks to mount the board against my house and camper to secure it and apply the pressure.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

Caryite

the Triangle

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I applied the Total Boat epoxy resin this AM after drilling two 1/2" holes to get the 1/4" plastic tube into the areas to inject the resin. The angle to get the tube in was tough, but with a paint stick used to prop things open from the electrical outlet on the left, that helped spread the resin all around. I used Glad Press N Seal to cover the fiberglass around the camper before using the resin.

[image]

I used 4 pumps of the large resin which when added with the slow hardener ended up being just over 4 ounces. That appeared to be more than enough to put in the resin, which took about 15-20 minutes. The temps were in the low 60s, and I used the same Glad wrap to cover the board and then 6 pressure points to keep the board flat against the camper.

[image]

I plan to wait at least 24 hours given the temps today will just get to 75F at the peak, and I want to make sure this is fully dry before removing.

If it doesn't stick or work like I'm hoping, then I'll plan to remove the old fiberglass around that area and just use Bondo resin and the cloth to rebuild the area.

* This post was edited 10/20/21 02:10pm by Caryite *

Caryite

the Triangle

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/21 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everything worked very well as seen below. I waited 27 hours to remove the pressure, and it hardened as expected.

[image]

The bottom hole that was drilled yesterday was completely flush with the epoxy resin, so there will only be some light sanding to do there before painting.

The top hole needed some additional resin added, so I filled later on after the board was removed with Bondo. I've since caulked around the seams, including the suspected ingress around the screws of the fridge grate.

Very happy with how the procedure went, and glad I took the time to recaulk all around the camper this past week to make sure no other areas have this happen.

* This post was edited 10/21/21 06:36pm by Caryite *

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/21 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks good.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice work!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Caryite

the Triangle

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/21 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Nice work!

Thanks to you and all the others that had good suggestions to consider during this process. Below is the final view after the caulking and painting was done. I made sure to use longer screws to reattach the electrical outlet so as to go through the styrofoam and newly applied Bondo putty into the next layer of luan on the back-side of the wall structure.

[image]

Just got back from a 4 day trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains where there was some considerable rains afterwards, and all is holding up very well.

Mostly relieved, but happy given where this was at the beginning!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> delamination issue on side of TT, need suggestions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.