cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CH-CH-CH changes ( with apologies to David Bowie)

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
For those heading South this November be prepared for many changes.
USAUSA since many have not been to the USA for 18 months some things are different. There are a lot more trucks on the road so the truck stops are busier. Parking there overnight is never one of my recommendations. You will find many of the truck stops fill up by 4 pm. The truckers do not appreciate you taking the spaces. Some do have room on the car side. Even rest areas fill up quickly. Some of your favorite Wal Marts no longer allow RV's or semis. Some have even built entrances with an overhead barrier. Shopping can be a hit or miss. Many common items are in short supply. Especially meat and paper products. I notice many shelves with product spread out so that the shelf appears full. Stores have stopped carrying a large variety of one category. Some products are just not available.If your vehicle has questionable tires buy new ones before you leave. Many sizes are not available. Truckers are reporting that some oil filters are not available. If you trip involves a stay in an RV park phone ahead. RV sales are at an all time high and many parks are full of semi- permanents.If you normally leave around Canadian thanksgiving be aware that most dump stations will not have water due to freezing.

MexicoMexico

Playaboy, Tallyho, Navegator and QTLA can provide more info on shortages. Many roads are in bad shape after the storms. The economy is not great and that always invites more petty thefts. If there are some families in Mexico that you help please be generous. They need your help. Inflation is no different than anywhere else so be prepared for some price shock. So far it appears that fuel is less than in Canada. I have not heard of shortages but that could change quickly. AMLO is not allowing the importation of US fuel. I don't know if that includes Diesel and Premium. Mexico does not produce Premium or ULSD.
4 REPLIES 4

Talleyho69
Nice to hear from you.

Hurricane Pamela made landfall on Wednesday, October 13, 40 miles north of Mazatlan. She was Category 1 at that point, so it's safe to assume that there will be some road damage in that area.

Lou_Morris
Explorer
Explorer
We crossed at Nogales last week, took the toll roads all the way to San Blas, then on to Sayulita. No issues at immigration, no covid questions, and the roads were better than ever. Some rough patches in Sinaloa before Mazatlan but not too bad. No long stretches of construction. Even from San Blas to Las Varas it was fairly pot hole free.
'07 Winne View
Jetta TDI

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
I would add that there's a truck driver shortage in the US which means that less than stellar drivers with a clean CDL can get a job and keep a job easier than ever. This can also mean that some of the OTR drivers might not be the traditional "knights of the highways" we've come to expect. Some might drive more aggressively than in the past. Some might have recently come from countries where driving customs differ from the US/Canada and even Mexico.
I write this as one who has great respect for OTR drivers and prefer driving amidst trucks at night than cars by day. Truckers are often more disciplined and predictable than car drivers (IMHO).
By the same token try to give the OTR drivers a break by maintaining an even speed, using the left lane for passing only, and be aware of left lane truck prohibitions on some roads which confines trucks to the two other lanes. They're working long hours, away from family, and stressed.

Talleyho69
Gas prices in Zihuatanejo, Guerrero on Hwy 200. We only have Pemex. Regular is over 21 pesos per liter and diesel is over 23 pesos per liter.

Not aware of any shortages.