cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane tank cover modification

enahs
Explorer
Explorer
New style dual tank regulators have a status view window on the front as opposed to the top. This makes it difficult to check the status of the tanks if a switch over has occurred without pulling the plastic cover off. Of course, you can cut a hole in the front of the plastic cover and install a plexiglass piece to serve as a window, but I am wondering whether there is a nifty commercial item that would do the job. I've seen a commercial portal used, but I have no idea where it came from and searches have turned up nuttin. Any ideas.
'07 Chevy 3500 Dooley, CC, LT3, D/A
11 REPLIES 11

Brandon_the_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Brandon the Traveler wrote:
philh wrote:
i put a 3" hole on the back side

How does that work if the indicator on the change over regulator faces the front?

I made sure it faced rearward

Curious. On my TT turning it rearward facing would make it harder to see. Only have a few inches of space between cover and front nose of the trailer. I would also have to turn the bottles 180* due to the pigtails. Whatever works I guess.
I went.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brandon the Traveler wrote:
philh wrote:

How does that work if the indicator on the change over regulator faces the front?

I made sure it faced rearward

Brandon_the_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:

I went.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
As said cut a hole in the front. If you don't like the idea of an open hole; make a cover with a piece of plastic a little larger than the hole and attach with one pop rivet above the hole. Now you have a little door to swing open and see the indicator.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can install the hatch on the front.

As for why, the OP asked for ideas. If he likes this idea he can use it, if not he can ignore it. It's his choice to make not yours.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Brandon_the_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
For my trailer, I installed two of these hatches. One over each tank. It makes it really easy to check the gauges and open and close the valves. I like these because they have a pull tab rather than just a couple indents to unscrew thwm.

They've never leaked.

The OP has the indicator on the regulator assembly that faces the front. Looking at it from the top down will tell you nothing. Sure you could spend $25 installing one of those waterproof hatch covers but what is the point. The tank cover itself is made in 2 halves and is riveted together with no sealant or gaskers. It's not watertight nor is it supposed to be.
I went.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I always wonder how often folks check their propane levelsโ€ฆ.
In winter camping it gets used pretty quick, but aside from that, even shoulder season where one might use the furnace a little at night, it lasts a long time.
And my cover literally takes 2 Seconds to remove maybe I donโ€™t have a difficult enough cover?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
For my trailer, I installed two of these hatches. One over each tank. It makes it really easy to check the gauges and open and close the valves. I like these because they have a pull tab rather than just a couple indents to unscrew thwm.

They've never leaked.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Brandon_the_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
No need to make something uncomplicated, complicated. Just take a 1-1/2" hole saw and punch a hole thru directly in front of the indicator. Why would you need to put plexiglass over it, the cover seams and lid are far from waterproof without the hole. No gadgets required.
I went.

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
I find it is easiest to simply take the whole cover off, and put it back on.
Mine slips off and onn very easily.
Larie Trippet Reno/Tahoe region
2018 Ford F250 Lariat Ultimate CC SB 4X4 diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT