cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you always need an RV Park ? .....

LandYacht35dies
Explorer
Explorer
..... or can you BLACK TOP BOONDOCK from time to time ?

My main experience has been with a diesel dually and large truck camper but there are MAJOR LIMITATIONS with that ! Hence my move to a class A
30 REPLIES 30

Bruce_Brown
Excellent point.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Outdoor Hospitality has a changing definition. As enthusiasts of the outdoor mobile lifestyle it is imperitive that we all endorse each persons choice to experience it it their own way.
,We do not condone overuse or abuse that diminish, thereby embolding officials or businesses to curtail use of properties in their charge.
OPs question cannot be answered to anyones satisfaction .

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, we have been camping since the 1960's, tent, fold down, pickup camper, 3 class C's and 2 class A's, have stayed at Flying J twice because we had no choice. Not rich but would much prefer to stay in an RV park or a camp ground! Walmart would be an emergency for us!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
toedtoes wrote:

Then you get into the "if you let that guy stay overnight in a class B, why can't stay overnight in my minivan" argument. And then, " if you let that guy in the minivan, why not my SUV".

To me this statement says people that can afford a MH should be allowed to stay for free, but the people that can't should pay for a campground.

No, my comment was actually the opposite.

Many RV owners argue that because they are self-contained, they should be allowed to overnight. But that suggests that others who are not totally self-contained should not be allowed to overnight.

And that means that cities and counties and parking lot owners would need to spend money and effort into enforcing that choice.

Allowing people in cars to overnight can create a problem in logistics regarding bathrrom needs, etc. If there is no restroom available all night, then folks will pee in the lot. Which requires clean up.

So, for cities and counties, the easiest option is to not allow any overnight parking. That way they don't have to deal with all those other issues. It prevents the slippery slope scenarios (if, then arguments).
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:

Then you get into the "if you let that guy stay overnight in a class B, why can't stay overnight in my minivan" argument. And then, " if you let that guy in the minivan, why not my SUV".

To me this statement says people that can afford a MH should be allowed to stay for free, but the people that can't should pay for a campground.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
In the summer out West we dry camp 5-6 days/week and travel and resupply on the weekends without reservations. Yes, the past 2 summers have been busier than normalโ€ฆ fortunately the newbies need reservations and FHU while we like Public CGs that donโ€™t take reservations. In 20 years of doing it this way I can only think of 2 times this has not worked outโ€ฆ2 summers ago in Moab. Dispersed camping in 100 degrees running the generator 24 hours didnโ€™t add up so 4 hours later we were in Grand Mesa, CO with frost the next morning.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
LandYacht35diesel wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
Short answer to your question is simply "yes". The reason is "for more gracious living." If I'm boondocking it's either because I'm broke down or everything is full and I didn't make a reservation.

MUST BE NICE Nashville guy ... not to care about mpg or the price of fuel AND NOW it appears you need an RV Park every night !

I have RVed since the early 80s and I maybe have gone to parks MAYBE 20 times !

Iโ€™ve even black topped it in ... Key West !

Iโ€™ll bet you went to Bluewater Park.... for 300$ a nite !

More power to ya !

Yep, it's very nice and I have been to Bluewater Key and Mountain Falls and Everglades Isle and Hilton Head Island Motorcoach Resort and many others. Momma always told me hard work would pay off.

Sorry you don't like my style but I don't really understand the anger. The OP asked a question and I gave my answer. Just not the same as your answer. What's the problem?
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I use the trip planner at freecampsites.net. It serves me well.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've seen photos of some major cities in California, and a few other States, where you don't even need an RV to camp out wherever you want. ๐Ÿ˜‰

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I understand why cities and counties ban overnighting in parking lots. Like most informal allowances, it starts out with a fairly rare usage. Then it starts becoming the standard. And then it is not only overnighting but staying for days to weeks. And then you get the youtubers showing folks how to shower in a parking lot. And you get the slime who start dumping their tanks in the parking lot because they don't want to pay $5-$20 to dump at a station.

And when things get out of hand, the cities and towns and counties have to use their resources on patrolling parking lots.

Sure, no one HERE would ever be a problem, but there are enough RVers out there who have no issue abusing it, that it's often easier to just say NO.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
I rarely get involved in these conversations but this one hit home for me. Because when I started in 1978 with my first of 5 class A's the reason I did was because it was self contained and I could be out in the wilderness for a week or more and not worry about negatively affecting in the enviroment. And what I was doing out there was fishing, hunting, dirt biking, sandrailing, fourwheeling and just relaxing. And guess what I didn't pay a dime to be there. Now move forward 20 yrs. my first trip around the United States I stayed in a RV park every night for several months. Which was more enjoyable for me was the first twenty.

What iritates me now is a Class A is designed and sold with a minimum of 7 days of self containment and now cities and counties are trying to force me to stay in their RV parks. I do not mind paying for dry parking at all but why should I have to pay somebody for what I already have a toilet and shower with tanks a generator, refrigerator, stove, microwave, solar power so what's the point of having all this? I guess I understand this new generation of RV'ers that never lived in that era before RV parks but why force all us in that direction?

I'm done!
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
For overnighing, we do not 'blacktop ' in a public parking lot. We do research gov't lands along our route with unrestricted use, such as wildlife preserves, historical monument turnouts, local gov. sports fields.
Church and school lots are always open to visitors. A donation to the property resolves issues

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
OP,
Do what you feel is right for you. As someone above said, that is why we have choices. When our destination is more important than the journey, we use Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Truck stop, rest areas, etc. You do you.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like looking out my window and seeing a RV 5' away from me. I enjoy looking out my window and seeing the mountains or desert and maybe another RV 500' away.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.