cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Leak - Storage compartment

rrunner
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2010 FourWinds Chateau 29BG with the 3 slides. On the driver's side exterior there is an outside storage compartment under the slide. After a rain or washing, and the slide is closed, there is water leaking into this fiberglass compartment. This compartment is next to the generator compartment. In the storage compartment, there is a wire loom coming down from the top of the compartment and goes to a box which goes into the generator. The water is seen leaking down the wire loom. It appears the source of the leak is above the wire loom.

I ran water on the roof for awhile and didn't notice any leaking down through the loom but when I sprayed water along the slide, below the window area, I noticed water dripping from the loom. I have removed the existing weathered sealant at the bottom of the slide where the horizontal slide molding is and replaced it with new sealant. After last nights rain, I still have a water leak although not as much as before.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

rrunner
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks BOBNDOT I just read the link concerning the schwintek slide leak and will look into that as well. Thanks

rrunner
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your reply, Today I managed to remove a panel in the storage area where the water was collecting and consequently leaking from that. With the panel off, it revealed a portion of the slide operation IE: motor, rail and sprocket system. The water appears to be coming from higher up than the slide assembly. I'm in the rain belt (SW British Columbia) just north of Seattle so will put a garden hose on room on the first dry day to see if water is coming in from the roof area. I had tried that before but no water appeared. I then sprayed against the slide (below the window) and got some water. I then re sealed that bottom part of the slide by the molding but that wasn't the fix.
ANY additional suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could be many places for a leak. Depending how the unit is sitting , water will travel on a slight horizontal plane then seek its lowest point.
Slides are a PIA. At 11 yrs old you need to check a lot of things.

Best way is to read owners forums . Try to find info on the manufacturer of your model. Check youtube for visual inspection ideas. The ratchet side rails can help you ID your slide. Try vegetable dye in the water to trace a leak.
Check for dried caulking around clearance lights.

Not all window and slide cutouts at the factory are performed perfectly. I had a router go off its mark creating an indentation in what should have been, a straight seem. The factory filled the void with a glob of sealant which held up for two years before non stop leaking occurred.
The leak source was passenger side front roof. The leaking water found its way to the drivers side rear low point compartment.
I traced water stains and rusted metal parts to find the source with help my friend who owned the dealership. But we had to dissemble a lot of the rv to find it. Lucky for me, he picked up the tab.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operation/slides/27691-schwintek-slide-leak

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I've had outside storage doors seals leak.