cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel insurance for Canadians

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that most travel policies have a clause for coverage in certain parts of Mexico. If the Canadian Government has issued a do not travel for an area you may not have coverage. This restriction is not due to Covid. Some insurers will give you coverage if your claim is not cartel,etc related
Others do not provide ANY coverage in that area. As an example the state of Sinaloa is a do not travel area except for the city of Mazatlan. So if your park is outside city limits you could be without coverage.
5 REPLIES 5

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
mexicoruss wrote:
I do not live by the directive of an insurance company....thank god

Meaning, don't have any health insurance?

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
mexicoruss wrote:

Agree

How is your mexico caravan signup going? All US folks still or have you gotten any canadians signed up for Puerto Penasco?

mexicoruss
Explorer
Explorer
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Especially with Manulife.

ProudCanuck42
Explorer
Explorer
Good point. Many travelers overlook this issue and are caught completely unaware when their claim is denied. The Cdn Gov't has issued an "Avoid non-essential Travel" warning for most of Sonora, Sinaloa and Nayarit https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/mexico. The Manulife policy (obtained through Costco) states that it does not cover "any medical condition you suffer or contract when an official travel advisory issued by the Canadian government states, "Avoid all non-essential travel" or "Avoid all travel" regarding the country, region
or city of your destination, before your effective date." It then states that "This exclusion does not apply to claims for an emergency
or a medical condition unrelated to the travel advisory." Typically this is Insurance Company doublespeak to confuse travelers. Remember that the Number one rule for the Insurance Claims Adjuster: "Do anything you can to avoid paying a claim!". Everyone should have Emergency Medical Insurance, but read the policy very carefully and be sure you know what you are getting.