Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Cold weather, generators, and campgrounds
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Cold weather, generators, and campgrounds

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, I don't see why I would have to lose sleep due to generator noise for the comfort of others.

The cold weather should be no surprise. It is October & the altitude is high. If you are not prepared for dry camping & the generator use hours, you should not be there. You should be in a CG outside of the park that has power & you can run your heaters to your hearts content.

Being prepared with a decent sized battery bank & ample propane for the furnace is not hard.

Turn the heat down. Put extra blankets on & snuggle up. Nobody want to listen to your generator that should not be on.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

Sorry, I don't see why I would have to lose sleep due to generator noise for the comfort of others.

The cold weather should be no surprise. It is October & the altitude is high. If you are not prepared for dry camping & the generator use hours, you should not be there. You should be in a CG outside of the park that has power & you can run your heaters to your hearts content.

Being prepared with a decent sized battery bank & ample propane for the furnace is not hard.

Turn the heat down. Put extra blankets on & snuggle up. Nobody want to listen to your generator that should not be on.

Thank you.

So far I have learned:

1. Use ear plugs - wife's idea

2. Be reborn as a heavy sleeper

3. Travel in a well insulated RV so you can't hear the surroundings that we came to enjoy

4. Folks are happy to turn the other persons cheek (as long as they're not affected)

5. Get over it!

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/21 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Adding my own opinion before closing the thread...

If you aren't prepared to get through the night without negatively impacting your neighbors, then don't camp. Get your act together and figure out all your systems, but don't turn your problems into my problems. If you're uncertain, either camp in your driveway until you get it right or head to the boondocks where nobody else will be affected.

Will your neighbors complain when you camp in your driveway and run your gen all night? Heck yeah they will. And rightfully so. And the nuisance is 10x worse at camp where people are trying to get a little solitude and they're packed tightly next to you in their thin-walled rolling homes.

Put yourself in your fellow human's shoes and consider how you'd feel if you had to camp next to a noisy camper like you. Be self aware and don't be obnoxious.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/21 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many of the responses in this thread are just as ignorant and inconsiderate as leaving your gen running overnight when you're camped with neighbors.

So disappointing.

The thread will look very different after taking out all the garbage. Please don't bother starting a new thread complaining about why I closed this thread. If you don't know, then you won't understand.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Cold weather, generators, and campgrounds
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.