cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to in June

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Being in St. Louis, MO we're looking for a place to go in mid June. Seems any place near large bodies of water, i.e. Great lakes, Gulf Coast, or even Atlantic coast, are all booked. Don't care for private parks. We're more State, COE, municipal or even FamCamp park people. What we generally prefer is a week of driving about 3 hours and spend a night, another of the same and spend two nights, repeating until we reach our destination for 5 or so days. Then return the same method, but different route.
Like to explore the destination area, but then tend to get "happy feet" and the itch to be on the road to some place different.
26' B+ needing only electric, but full hook ups are nice.
Thanks for your ideas.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
17 REPLIES 17

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
The Minnesota State Parks on the North Shore of Lake Superior are great! Three in particular have very nice campgrounds -- Tettegouche, Temperance River (really pretty hiking there if you like to do that...), and Cascade River. They wouldn't be booked up for next summer yet, because you can only book 120 days ahead. So you would have to count out your days and be on the computer to book at the first opportunity. They WILL fill up quickly.

Further down I see you mentioned possibly South Carolina as well. Hunting Island State Park near Beaufort, SC is quite nice. Right on the ocean.

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
Your state has a bunch of nice campgrounds on or near the water. Pomme D Terre lake is nice and has state and COE campgrounds.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes and some of East Tenn. Might even go up to the Blue Ridge Parkway for a brief length and some sights.
Thanks again to all.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
You mentioned famcamps-- might want to check into Mc Dill AFB in Tampa.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
garmp wrote:
We're looking now as we know how crowded things have become and in June even more so. So we'd like to start making reservations, much to my chagrin, as soon as some of the booking windows open.
Thanks for all the replies. Looking more towards the upper Georgia/South Carolina area and hitting plenty of COE parks.

Donโ€™t forget east TN too.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're looking now as we know how crowded things have become and in June even more so. So we'd like to start making reservations, much to my chagrin, as soon as some of the booking windows open.
Thanks for all the replies. Looking more towards the upper Georgia/South Carolina area and hitting plenty of COE parks.

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to camp on a summer weekend or holiday,yes it can be hard. I have usually been able get sites even at the last minutes as long as it's not on a weekend. We usually go on a Sunday and come back on a Thursday. But since you plan on traveling and doing one or 2 niters,during the week tI have found there are almost always something available.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Next June we plan to see plenty of water. The frozen kind. June is peak month for icebergs on the north coast of Newfoundland. A very special place not like anywhere else in N America.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice state parks on shore of Lake Ontario in NY. Or perhaps Sun Outdoors/Association Island west of Adams NY. Want to watch ocean/Great Lake ships? Then some NYS parks along the St Lawrence seaway/1,000 islands area.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Idaho, and add power company campsites to your list along with state and federal options.
idaho power companies

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Dave.....Land Between the Lakes
Lots to see and drives to take and in the nearby town of Grand Rivers, there is an area called Patti's Settlement, with recreations of log cabins and shops and a restaurant famous for their pork chops!

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
I guarantee, 100% of the state parks sites on the Great Lakes in Michigan (and there are literally thousands of sites) are currently available for June 2022; and will continue to be available until about January 2022.

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
Land Between the Lakes in TN/KY is nice. Federal land, lakes and recreation opportunities, hiking etc. Not too far from you either.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
Take a Lewis & Clark tour up the Missouri River. Water and history, all in one trip. State, COE and National parks along the way.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS