cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking at used, canvas repair?

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
So, we're shopping for a new camper, and leaning toward some hybrids. We looked at a 2004 R-Vision, and we like it, but it'll need the canvas repaired at one end, and we figure, we should probably do both at the same time.

Do you have suggestions for places to get the canvas repaired/replaced? I saw this place, but don't know much about them. http://www.canvasreplacements.com/
MK and my Wifey from PA
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!
10 REPLIES 10

dedmiston
pitch wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Inspect closely before purchase. Dry out completely before closing up and storage. Beware that some parks donโ€™t allow soft sided RVs.

I know that you are an important man Mr.Lwiddis. But why would you lie or intentionally post false information?
If you don't know or aren't sure don't put it out there.
Your posts seem to paint you as an extremist!

He has an opinion about EVERYTHING and is very eager to share it. Luckily most of his posts never see the light of day.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Having both pups and htt they really are only suited for and used in 3 season mode only. Like campgrounds staying closed October thru May and you only get true nice weather only usage. Sol if you have a tT ect. The only 4 season people camping are living in the campgrounds permanently.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Inspect closely before purchase. Dry out completely before closing up and storage. Beware that some parks donโ€™t allow soft sided RVs.

I know that you are an important man Mr.Lwiddis. But why would you lie or intentionally post false information?
If you don't know or aren't sure don't put it out there.
Your posts seem to paint you as an extremist!

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:

What parks are you referring to?
Fishing Bridge campground in Yellowstone, is the only campground for RVs there, that has a permanent ban on soft-sided campers. All the other campgrounds in YNP, that has campsites big enough for hybrids, allow soft-sided campers. We stayed in Madison, Grant and Canyon, in our hybrid. And you can stay at Fishing Bridge campground, in your hybrid, if you stay "turtled" in your hybrid.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
PS. This is the canvas and the screen, so I'm thinking the whole thing would need to be done. I might be looking elsewhere.
MK and my Wifey from PA
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will second the Bear Creek Canvas option. This is a very competent company with people who have experience and are willing to talk to you and work with you. I replaced all the canvas on an older 1977 Starcraft Popup. It matched perfectly and was, I felt, of higher quality than the original. Google them and ask if they do hybrids.

That said, I also had a hybrid and what was just said is true in some cases. Water leaking around the edges, people who do not dry the canvas before storage and a multitude of other reasons can and will lead to canvas issues. On a hybrid you also need to look at the door itself.

Best route is to "fix" the issue. A rip or two can be repaired by a boat company who works on things like this. If it is that and mold and mildew issues, you might want to price out a replacement.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Brandon_the_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
You need to look at the bunk doors themselves, and the wall areas below them. Go over then with a fine tooth comb. Those R-Visions were well known to have leak issues that resulted in rot to the doors and areas below the doors. The screw down bunk locks were one of the first designs used to secure the bunk doors when closed, and did not work well. If the doors are shot, you will almost be SOL as replacements will need to be custom made. People have done it but it's not cheap.
I went.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty much the one you have and http://bearcreekcanvas.com/ are the go to ones. Call to see if they have your pattern in house. Or you may need to ship yours to them for a template. One does just canvas, the other does synthetic tenting, like sumbrella. Depends on what you want. Both are really backed up. Whats wrong with your tenting? Sometimes a good awning or sail shop can sew patches. Tenting isn't cheap.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer
Friends bought new canvas from that company,a while back,for an older starcraft, and they were very happy with the product. You can remove the canvas yourself, not usually hard, and take to any upholsterer that does boat tops and such.For repairs, or to make new stuff. Just stop and ask some boat owners, especially larger boats. Before you buy a hybrid, ever sleep in a tent, in hard rain, high winds or hail? That is one of the main reasons I got rid of my pop up many years ago.