Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: I want to run a microwave on an inverter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> I want to run a microwave on an inverter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/21 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm running four 6V batteries and a 2000W inverter. I use them to power my microwave for about three minutes only to heat a cup of something. I don't think I'd use it for ten minutes. Do you have four batteries or only two?

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

zzyzxpat

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/21 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 2 Group 27s deep cycle. Looking like this may be more than I thought just to run it for 5-7 minutes?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/21 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zzyzxpat wrote:

I have 2 Group 27s deep cycle. Looking like this may be more than I thought just to run it for 5-7 minutes?
As long as you realize the most likely path will be a significant battery upgrade that is fine. Some do seem to manage on two batteries.

Don’t expect to cook dinner, run the furnace all night and wake up to make coffee on inverter also.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/21 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could run it for the 10 minutes on the two 27s IF they were fully charged to start with, but then you also have to get through the 24 hr day running the furnace etc until the next gen hours lets you recharge the batts.

With four 6s or four 27s and being able to recharge the batts at least every day (but only need solar each day in summer in the open for that--needs gen in winter under trees) can run the MW for 10 minutes to do spuds, then right after, 5 minutes to do frozen veggies. Meanwhile steaks get done RVQ outside.

The 15 min of MW time at 120a is not what matters with the four 6s. You still have to run the furnace and watch movies on those same batts.

It is all about scenario. When do you do this and how often? When are gen hours if any? Got any solar? Is there any sunshine in the forecast?

Good idea to run the gen to run the battery charger/converter while also using the inverter to run the MW. Different 120v source plug- ins of course--don't want any 240v!!!!

Same thing on 15 amp shore power if that is what you have at somebody's house you are visiting or at a fairground for dog trials. The converter input "supports" the inverter draw from the batts so it is not so hard on just two 27s for that 10 minutes. Means the 10 min is during gen hours in that scenario.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/21 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For 10 minutes, start the generator. Pay me now or pay me later.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/21 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is all about understanding what uses what & smart power management. You are not at home with limitless power availability.

A genny running your charger is the fastest way to restore power to the battery bank. Run the genny at meal times when you might also want to use the microwave. That is also the time to be sure that anything rechargeable is put on charge.

Run the genny for a few hours in the morning till the battery bank is fully charged & when the CG does not have many around with people leaving or headed out for the day. Maybe doing the same as you. If everyone runs their gennys together, for the same reasons, nobody bothers anyone else with the noise.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/21 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm just curious, what takes 10 minutes in a microwave?

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/21 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

jkwilson wrote:

If you regularly use that kind of power and don’t have a recharging source like a generator or solar, you likely won’t get them recharged while towing. The generator is still the way to go.

Not true if you are using a DC-DC charger !

I suspect if he had the knowledge and skills to install a DC-DC charger, he wouldn't be asking this question. A DC-DC charger is not a stock item.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

I'm just curious, what takes 10 minutes in a microwave?

About the only thing my cook uses the microwave for, & they take awhile, is baking potatoes.

Otherwise the microwave is used to store bread.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

About the only thing my cook uses the microwave for, & they take awhile, is baking potatoes.
Thanks. I tried that, and I have to say I prefer the regular oven. Of course that takes 2 hours.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> I want to run a microwave on an inverter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.