cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Where is everyone? Marty is still alive, he posted over on general.

Anyone know what is best (gas or diesel)?

How much air should I put in my tires?

I did see the picture of Phil's new Ford on FW section. Very nice! Ford gassers are best, aren't they?

Have a great day!

Jerry
66 REPLIES 66

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Throw a 4BT Cummins in that.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ford truck guy wrote:

what about that tweaked bumper? 🙂

The back bumper, from that pic? Yeah, lol, theres a small corresponding ding in the bumper that caused it. Front bumper is slightly tweaked on the other side too. And judging by the gouge in the steel, whatever it hit would have caused $5k in damage to a newer truck!

I really wish they still put good bumpers on trucks. I can count several "incidents" with newer trucks over the last 20 years or so that wouldn't have phased a bumper from a 70s-90s truck!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ksss wrote:
That was a great square body find. You don't see many that are that clean after 35 plus years. Can't wait to see it when it is done.

Thanks!
Makes 2 of us. I've hopefully got about caught up enough on stuff to get back on it in earnest. Gotta hang some plastic in the shop and then it's game on again! So far, I've painted everything outside and limited alot of the sanding to outside, but at this stage, it needs to be indoors to finish priming and paint.

Better part of 2 years later, it still feels like a good find, so that's good, lol.

I just purchased a timed fuel pump relay I need to install. Fuel system is a bit unconventional since the engine is a Mark VI 454 (late 90s Vortec EFI engine), stock, but running a vacuum advance HEI ignition and a 4bbl carb. Those engines don't have provisions for a mechanical fuel pump, and currently running a single inline pump (dual tanks, don't want to deal with in tank pumps in both tanks, because everything works good as is.
Right now, it's not dummy proof. Key on = fuel pump on continuously. This relay uses a tach signal to trigger pump on, after a 3 second "prime" with key on.

Did fire it up yesterday. Hadn't lit it off in several months now. She sounds like she's tired of being in the garage in pieces!

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
That was a great square body find. You don't see many that are that clean after 35 plus years. Can't wait to see it when it is done.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit dog wrote:
MFL wrote:
Pics don't always show fine details, but truck looked pretty good when you got it!

Looks like mega prep work done, you for sure need the right paint guy to shoot it! Makes a big diff, if paint job is not too bad, or a beautiful finish!

Hope it goes well!

Jerry

Yes, the truck was in great shape for it's age. Zero rust save for the windshield issue. Everything, down to the AC, cruise, power windows works and works well. Chassis clean, interior functional but being replaced.
I believe I have every factory bolt and nut, in good condition for every part removed. Zero rusty or broken bolts! CHassis was an easy clean and shoot.

Paint looked like a warranty re=paint early on in the life of the truck. Nice that it only had 1 coat of paint, as it all had to come off. I could peel it off the (not factory) primer with a razor knife pretty easily.
Mechanically, only about $500 worth of misc parts replaced to make it 100%.
Body, paint was cooked/gone on the hood and roof. And about 6 dozen misc holes welded up from previous owners' accessories and a bunch of scratches, dings and factory inconsistencies in the sheet metal. Basically it looked good from about 30'!
Can't wait to get it finished!
I've got all the paint and clear already and most all of the new trim and interior pieces.
It will be the same factory colors minus all the JC Whitney "accessories" save for the visor. Visor is going back on, but debating buying one with clearance lights instead.
Wheels will be OE replica white steelies from Detroit Steel Wheels in either 20x9 or 20x11 size with OE hubcaps.

Son can't wait either. It won't be his daily, 7mpg lol, but will drive it to school and stuff sometimes.

what about that tweaked bumper? 🙂
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice truck, my 76 GMC 3/4 4x4 was one of my favorites also.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MFL wrote:
Pics don't always show fine details, but truck looked pretty good when you got it!

Looks like mega prep work done, you for sure need the right paint guy to shoot it! Makes a big diff, if paint job is not too bad, or a beautiful finish!

Hope it goes well!

Jerry

Yes, the truck was in great shape for it's age. Zero rust save for the windshield issue. Everything, down to the AC, cruise, power windows works and works well. Chassis clean, interior functional but being replaced.
I believe I have every factory bolt and nut, in good condition for every part removed. Zero rusty or broken bolts! CHassis was an easy clean and shoot.

Paint looked like a warranty re=paint early on in the life of the truck. Nice that it only had 1 coat of paint, as it all had to come off. I could peel it off the (not factory) primer with a razor knife pretty easily.
Mechanically, only about $500 worth of misc parts replaced to make it 100%.
Body, paint was cooked/gone on the hood and roof. And about 6 dozen misc holes welded up from previous owners' accessories and a bunch of scratches, dings and factory inconsistencies in the sheet metal. Basically it looked good from about 30'!
Can't wait to get it finished!
I've got all the paint and clear already and most all of the new trim and interior pieces.
It will be the same factory colors minus all the JC Whitney "accessories" save for the visor. Visor is going back on, but debating buying one with clearance lights instead.
Wheels will be OE replica white steelies from Detroit Steel Wheels in either 20x9 or 20x11 size with OE hubcaps.

Son can't wait either. It won't be his daily, 7mpg lol, but will drive it to school and stuff sometimes.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
blt2ski wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
specta wrote:
Aren't most brands of shocks better than Bilstein shocks??

YES as Boat Anchors. 😉

Have to be a pretty small boat for most shocks I've seen to work....

May be inflatable rib?!?!?

Marty

I was thinking about tying several together.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

blt2ski
Cummins12V98 wrote:
specta wrote:

YES as Boat Anchors. 😉

Have to be a pretty small boat for most shocks I've seen to work....

May be inflatable rib?!?!?

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
specta wrote:

YES as Boat Anchors. 😉

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
specta wrote:

Silly boy.:R

blt2ski
specta wrote:

Those look like fighting words......

I do like my Rancho's I put on back in August. bilstien equal were not available.......
life went on!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Hope it goes well!

Jerry