cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood furnace needs new blower motor

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
I have an older Atwood Hydro Flame 8500-IV furnace and my blower motor, while still running, is close to failure (squealing).

Since Atwood no longer exists, I'm not sure who to call, but Dometic doesn't seem to know what I need.

I read the manual and the motor is shown in the exploded view, but the part number isn't given, but rather there is a note, "specify rate"

I assume they want flow rate, but not sure and the motor label doesn't say.

When I go online to various suppliers, there are hundreds of double shaft motors, all with odd part numbers, and replacement furnace numbers, but so far, none match mine, but they all seem to be about the same with prices that vary.

I'm open for suggestions on what I should do. I could take the furnace apart, and get some measurements from the old motor, but it's still working and with cold weather coming, I would prefer not to have to take the whole thing apart until I have the new motor. If you haven't taken one of these things apart, that are a nightmare with several dozen little screws in very tight positions.

Anyone care to speak from experience regarding this problem?

For what it's worth, the model number on the furnace tag is:

8536-IV-DCLP

Haven't seen this one anywhere yet.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog
10 REPLIES 10

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
There is no need to remove the furnace for a blower motor replacement on an 85nn series unit. The entire job can be done with the unit in place. A good set of instruction can be found at the link below on page page 14 (PDF page 12), These instructions are for an upgrade on a III, but the motor removal steps are very similar for the IV.

Hydroflame Tech Manual
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
There are a number of good suggestions here, but to be certain, I have decided to bite the bullet and take the furnace out of the RV, and totally disassemble it to (hopefully) get a part number from the motor. I have two furnaces in my MH, and I have already changed the first one (several years ago) but can't locate the paperwork, and at that time, Atwood was still, well, Atwood. I think I will try to take some pix and post them as this is a tedious task and photos might help someone else.

Our Travel Blog

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
following this one I have the FA7912DF, that usaly squeels for about 30 seconds then is fine, but it has been starting to squeel a bit more laitly.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I had a mobile tech replace mine. That job is out of my pay grade.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Rechecking my book shows motor is 37698.
ebay
Amazon

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Great suggestions guys. Thank you. I will move on these and get "something" and let everyone know what happens.

Our Travel Blog

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
This one is for the 8535-IV if same as the 8536

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163792591152?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2622cc9930:g:g7cAAOSwUgBfMTzP&amda...

Replacement for numbers and models PF26157Q, 8535-IV, 8531-35-III, DC 8935-40, 76ZYT-NBK698V
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer
Ah,the mysterious "8536". The one even RV tech's say did not exist. As the "85" is the series designation, and the "36" is the btu's, I wonder if some of the 8535 stickers were misprinted. If so,the motor you would need would be a 37698. But, 2 things, there almost always is a sticker on the old motors, or you could call these guys, and have the serial number handy, if you can find it--
https://pdxrvwholesale.com/

Also,Dyers has info on lots of older stuff.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Ebay
Here is another source,
Several new ones on ebay.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Amazon can be your friend. You didn't say what exact model is.
Do you have the replacement motor number?
I come up with a 32330

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow