cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alignment...I think!

SH
Explorer
Explorer
So...brand new tires, a 3000 mile trip and this happens. Tires have worn perfect for the past 15 years. PSI and temps were all good for the entire trip. Got home and washed the rig and saw this wear on the front axle right side. Any ideas as to what the problem is?

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/WfI83GAHQZ2Bgsc7VnncTA.nERMFiG0c0jPuBar2s_ZHY
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚
13 REPLIES 13

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
It was worn out bushings that cause bad tire wear for a friend of mine. New bushings and no more problem.
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Similar situation on my boat and it was the axle. In my case, the U bolt had slipped a little.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Swap it with the opposite side and see what the results are after the next trip.

Explorer II
Explorer II
When I had my FW tires replaced at Discount I caught the kid placing his floor jack over a foot into the axle. I called him on it and he said this is how they always do it. I said that's fine but on mine you will place the jack on the perch.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
MT BOB wrote:
From what I can tell from that pic, something rubbed against that tire, or a defective tire.

Once the pic was posted I thought the same thing. Did they install taller tires and is there anything above that tire it could be rubbing on?

Or caught something in the wheel well.Would not take long at highway speeds.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
MT BOB wrote:
From what I can tell from that pic, something rubbed against that tire, or a defective tire.

Once the pic was posted I thought the same thing. Did they install taller tires and is there anything above that tire it could be rubbing on?
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Agree with Lyle, on place for alignment check, and could be elongated hanger, shackle, or worn out bushing.

Also someone mentioned possible bent axle, from improper jack placement during tire change.

Jerry

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
SH wrote:
So...brand new tires, a 3000 mile trip and this happens. Tires have worn perfect for the past 15 years. PSI and temps were all good for the entire trip. Got home and washed the rig and saw this wear on the front axle right side. Any ideas as to what the problem is?

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/WfI83GAHQZ2Bgsc7VnncTA.nERMFiG0c0jPuBar2s_ZHY

Could you tell us what brand of tire that is ,I have seen several G614's cup ,and wear like that over on the Montana forum . I ran G614's several years ago ,and they wore somewhat like that on the edges , but it was all four .

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
SH wrote:

If you do want to have the alignment checked, do it at a heavy truck shop and not an RV dealer. Surprisingly, it's not stupid expensive, in most cases. Also, if you're using the same 15 y.o. trailer, have you checked your spring hangers and shackles? They could be worn, causing the axle(s) to get sloppy.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
If only one tire is wearing unevenly like that, I would bet it's probably a bent axle rather than a misalignment. It's wearing pretty bad so it should be pretty apparent what's going on.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is your picture.

If you will follow these directions exactly, it is very easy to post pictures on our forums. One of our moderators, 1492, developed this photo posting app to post your pictures. It works for other internet sites also. There is no need to have a separate hosting site for your pictures in order to use it.

It is very simple to use.
1. Upload your picture from your computer to the app.
2. Copy the resulting URL.
3. Paste that URL into your post

without ANY changes

. No additions or deletions.
Your picture will then appear in your post and be properly sized for use on our forums.:)

I have posted a test thread here for members to try out the app and see how it works. That thread is ONLY for testing however and not for comments on pictures. Good luck.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Didn't look at the pic but if you don't recall hitting any curbs on the trip, the only change was the tire installation. First make sure the wheel is actually seated properly on the hub. If that looks good, check for damage from improper jacking by the mechanic that may have caused the problem.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500