cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New laptop--- clone hard drive?

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
My laptop HP an Elitebook 8770w (2017?) is beginning to have a few mechanical problems. The screen is cracked and the CD drive is not working. Instead of repairing this laptop I have found a very good price for a recondition one.

My question: . Since the new to me laptop is the same make and model can I simply swap out my old hard drive with the new to me laptop?

If I desire to have a larger, faster SSD hard drive can I simply clone my old hard drive into the new SSD drive.

Either these solutions will save me days of reinstalling all my old programs.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
5 REPLIES 5

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Probably. Does the refurbished laptop have the same HD, Video card, NIC, etc? What is different? If anything is different it might present different issues, based on driver compatibility.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
My laptop HP an Elitebook 8770w (2017?) is beginning to have a few mechanical problems. The screen is cracked and the CD drive is not working. Instead of repairing this laptop I have found a very good price for a recondition one.

My question: . Since the new to me laptop is the same make and model can I simply swap out my old hard drive with the new to me laptop?

If I desire to have a larger, faster SSD hard drive can I simply clone my old hard drive into the new SSD drive.

Either these solutions will save me days of reinstalling all my old programs.

yes to both. pull the HD out of the hold and swap it with the HD in the new. Acronis, EaseUS can clone a HD. i used to use Acronis but over the years it has become bloatware. i use EaseUS now but either will work.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If that laptop has an actual hard drive
I'd remove the drive and install in a case (you can get cases at most of the better computer stores) And turn it into a USB external.

Cloning and transfering everything to a new computer might work. or not. I'm not up on the current state but last time I worked on that kind of thing you could transfer data all day long but programs might (or not) and the operating system was tied to embedded serial numbers in the hardware. Would not work on a new computer less you bought a new license.

And they would not let you use the new license that came with your new computer.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming Windows OS. There are a few cloning programs around. I have used Clonezilla, Acronis and (another one that starts with an M, Just cant think of it right now,)
Anyway Clonezilla is my GO-TO. No matter which one you use, there might be an issue with the OS licensing. Usually the OS is tied to the motherboard of the computer. At the very least you might need to change the Windows license number which you might be able to determine with Belarc Adviser.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
There are cloning programs such as Acronis. You could clone your old drive onto the new one and carry on.