Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Question about gray water...?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Question about gray water...?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/21 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG wrote:

AND this is why there are regulations on not dumping waste water. Had they responsibly adhered to rules and respect for the environment, we all would probably not be talking about this.

Amen to that.

I put this in the same category as running the gen all night. It's a symptom of people only thinking about themselves.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/21 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we had a pop up trailer we used a regular tote to pull behind the truck to the dump station. The tote fit into the pop up doorway if there was no dump station. Was never dumped on the ground.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Pup drains the sink out of a fitting on the side. I added a tee to create an air break with a piece of pipe going down to a 5 gallon jerry can. When it is full, I either dump it in sewer inlet (we mostly camp where there are full-hookups) or the toilet of the bath house if there are no hook-ups/dump station. Like others, we use mostly disposable items and for a normal weekend camping trip, only have to dump at the end of the weekend. Most of our gray water is from washing hands.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The container I use to capture dish water holds about 7 gallons. We never used paper plates, but will sometimes cook in foil packs. Thru over 15 years of use, the only weekends I fill that jug is Thanksgiving. Cleaning a dozen DOs, I use some water.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But d3500ram, you ARE actually trolling by re-opening this topic. Good news is you got several fish on who somehow feel it’s worthy of posting how they handle their dishwater, lol.

That said, I see why the rule, or most all rules are put in place. Similar to this one, the “rule” is to encompass the least common denominators on the lower end of the IQ scale who aren’t intelligent enough or thoughtful enough to be able to lighten the load of some gray water, without creating a mess similar to Dedmiston’s experience.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I tent camp or used my pop up, I always dumped my dish pan in the bushes near by.

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/21 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got called out to a PUP site years ago because of ants. When I got there with insecticide, I politely told the lady the ants are just doing their job, cleaning up the corn and food debris from the dishwater you dumped there.
I saw them carrying their dishes to our wash sinks after that.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we had our first TC, we used use a bucket under the drain since there was no tank. This water would get flung into the tall grass or bushes away from the campsites. We also used paper plates, and food waste never went in to the sink drain. That came from our year's of tenting before the TC. The funny thing is, we still carry over those habits. Food waste doesn't go in the drain, and we still use paper plates because who wants to spend the time doing dishes.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/21 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe ten years ago we frequented a private campground that had no sewer hookups, but a lot of seasonal campers. One small wing-like cluster of seasonal campsites suddenly went vacant, so I asked the campground owner what happened to them.

He had caught them dumping grey water on the ground behind their sites. In a ravine with a small stream that fed directly into the camp fishing lake. Which they had polluted to the extent it was no longer safe to keep your catch. So much for the stocking done earlier in the season.

Of course, he kicked them out of the campground and closed that part of the loop to other campers.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/21 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The biggest step that can be taken to deal with gray water, is to conserve water in the first place. Big rigs can use a lot of water and that makes dumping gray water an issue, especially if there is a convenient source of water but no dumps.

I do a lot of remote camping and have learned to conserve water. When water and dumps are not available, I get by on about 3 gallons of water a day. That includes a shower, drinking, and washing dishes. Each takes about 1 gallon per day. My gray tank is 15 gallons and I generate about 2 gallons per day. If I have ready access to water, I might back off and use a bit more but I am so used to getting by with little, I still only "waste" another gallon or so a day usually on a longer shower.

I take a couple of other steps in dealing with gray water. First I have a fine mesh screen on the sink drain to minimize food particles in the gray water. Second, I frequently add a small amount of bleach to the waste tank.

With 2-3 gallons of relatively clean gray water a day. Keeping up with emptying the tank is pretty easy. I usually empty the tank before it is half full. My kitchen trash container is a 5 gallon bucket which used to hold kitty litter. It is easy to make a couple of trips with 3-4 gallons in the bucket. Finding a place to dump those relatively small amounts if rarely an issue. Many campgrounds have an area designated for tent campers to dump their waste. If not, absolute worst case, I might need to dump in the bushes somewhere. I try to avoid doing that anywhere near where people actually walk or camp. I suppose dumping in a toilet or outhouse is an option but I usually try to avoid adding the waste volume. Another option is to ask the campground host where you should dump "dishwater".

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Question about gray water...?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.