cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow bar options & instillation advice

FLHTCI
Explorer
Explorer
First I want to thank everyone for all the good advice you’ve given me so far. As a new class A motor home owner, I’ve learned a lot from your advice.

I’m now embarking on outfitting my 2013 Jeep JKU to be towed behind my RV. The previous owner sold me his Brake Buddy. I’ll just need to but the breakaway switch and install it.

What tow bar do you recommend and should I have it setup professionally? Looking at the side that attaches to the Jeep seems straight forward.

Thank you
2012 Winnebago Itasca Class A Sunstar 30T
2013 Jeep Sahara (JKU)
2012 Harley Davidson FLHTCUTG
2012 Ford F-250
11 REPLIES 11

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I also have installed a Demco base plate and tow bar. It has about 100k miles on the bar now. I have taken it apart about 3 times since 2005 and cleaned it and it still works great. My only suggestion, which is just a personal preference for peace of mind is to get the steel version rated at 10,000 lbs. Most of the Al versions at the time I bought mine were only rated at 6500 lbs. It is heavier than the Al versions but rated much higher. I only remove it in the wintertime so weight is not a problem to me. There have been some early posts on here about the Al Blue Ox failing and a personal friend of mine lost his tow car also with his Al Blue Ox, that is what drove my decision. I'm sure by now any design flaws have been worked out, just feel better with a higher rated tow bar.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
I put the Demco on my 2014 Wrangler. Easy install with basic tools and skills.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, I don't have a lot of experience with this as I've only purchased the one in our signature, a Demco Aluminator, rated for 6,500 lbs. I think. I don't see it on their website any more, though.

Around the 11 year mark of ownership and about 30,000 miles of towing our 4,500 lb. Honda Odyssey, I noticed two very slight cracks in the welds. I was going to have my cousin weld it up, but decided to call Demco to see what they said. They told me to ship it to them and they'd take care of it. So...I did.

Not only did they reweld everything, but they rebuilt the entire extension/locking mechanism and shipped it back to me free of charge. I forgot the turn around time, but it seemed pretty quick. Maybe 2 to 2 1/2 weeks total. Considering ground shipping from Massachusetts to Idaho is 4 or 5 days, I was really impressed with their service.

If I ever need to purchase anything else related to towing, I will most likely be going with Demco.

By the way, I installed the base plate and tow bar myself, along with the brake controller. It took me the better part of a weekend to install it all, but I wasn't killing myself with the installation process, just took it easy on a lazy summer weekend with plenty of refreshment breaks! 😉

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I have installed several base plates for customers and myself. I find the easiest base plates to install are from DEMCO.
So far there have been no failures.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Blue Ox and Roadmaster are the options. I have Roadmaster and no issues. My buddy has Blue Ox and no issues.
Either one is good. Whatever you get make sure it the MH mounted bar.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Have had a Roadmaster and a Blue Ox tow bar over the years. I prefer Blue Ox hands down. Great after purchase service.
2010 Suncruiser

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
After having my POS Blue OX true center fail and no help from them I would never purchase anything Blue OX again.

Just got a 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid and used all Roadmaster purchased from etrailer.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Either Roadmaster or Blue Ox. The main thing is to get one that will ensure your toad arrives at the campground at the same time you do.

When I was fitting out the toad, I went to Camping World and bought the brand that was on sale, which was Roadmaster at the time. Been using them since '99. I have upgraded the bar as they came out with the better mouse trap.

I have towed a '00 GC which the wife totaled, a '99 GC as a replacement and now tow a '13 GC using the Roadmaster 9000 braking system

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
You have RoadMaster and Blue Ox.

This is only my choice, I use Blue Ox. I install my myself. Very easy to set up. I double my rating meaning I double what ever the vehicle weights that I am towing. For me 4400 lbs and I got a 10,000 bar. They have them from 7000 to 15,000 lbs now. I got the unit so It just slide into the receiver , no balls . This is a personal choice.

and i can attest to Blue OX's outstanding after-the-sale customer service. install yourself only if you're handy otherwise farm it out.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have RoadMaster and Blue Ox.

This is only my choice, I use Blue Ox. I install my myself. Very easy to set up. I double my rating meaning I double what ever the vehicle weights that I am towing. For me 4400 lbs and I got a 10,000 bar. They have them from 7000 to 15,000 lbs now. I got the unit so It just slide into the receiver , no balls . This is a personal choice.

I might add that which system you get, put locks in the pin holes , not the quick release pins. Years ago for some reason those pins would get removed when every you stop for fuel or other reasons. With locks they are there till you put the key in it and remove.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Normally I would recommend the ready brute elite tow bars as they have an integrated mechanical brake so there is no separate braking system and nothing to fail. Once it's set up there is no installing/uninstalling the supplemental braking system. But since you already bought a supplemental brake before buying bars or base plates, I can't be of much help in that category.

We used Blue ox base plates on our CRV when we towed it and they were easy to install and will work fine with a variety of bars. If you aren't fairly adept at DYI and have the proper tools you may want to take this to a shop. It was about 4 hours labor so expect estimates accordingly.

There is no set up for the bars per se. They simply go into your MH receiver and hook to the clevis' on the baseplates on your vehicle.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS