cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

over filling

Danford50
Explorer
Explorer
i have a 2016 catalina floor plan number is fs223. when i am connected to city water at the park, it fills my fresh water tank, where do i need to start to look for what is causing this too happen?
14 REPLIES 14

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've never had city water get past my pump and back into the tank. If if did I'd do what CharlesinGA says.......if that didn't work, I'd put a Shark-Bite check valve on the downstream side of the pump and be done with it.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Danford50
Explorer
Explorer
I found my problem and it was on the water pump it has a cut-off value that was in the open position, i turn it off and everything appear to be normal

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
X

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
mobeewan wrote:
Doesn't matter what type of fresh water tank fill system that you have for your trailer, water can still leak past the pump internal check valve, filling the tank.

Not quite true. With our system, when all the valves are set for city water the pump is out of the system.

Rob

And the check valve is what keeps the pump out of the system. If it fails, and they often do, the pump is back in the system.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
If the process Charles suggested doesnโ€™t work, you can pretty easily take the pump apart and flush it out and manually unstick the check valve. On my trailer itโ€™s harder to access the pump than it is to take it apart.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Common everyday question asked on every RV forum it seems. Yes, most likely the check valve in the electric pump.

1) remove city water hose.
2) run pump extensively cycling faucets on and off.
3) turn pump OFF
4) reconnect city water hose and DO NOT touch the pump switch with city water connected.
5) wait a while and see if your problem is cured. This process usually clears the check valve of debris and reseats the check valve.

https://youtu.be/B_yI_tDcOxY

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Danford50
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
mobeewan wrote:
Doesn't matter what type of fresh water tank fill system that you have for your trailer, water can still leak past the pump internal check valve, filling the tank.

Not quite true. With our system, when all the valves are set for city water the pump is out of the system.

Rob

Do you actually have an extra valve that you shut off between the pump and the line from the city water inlet?

No extra value on the inside

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
mobeewan wrote:

Rob

Do you actually have an extra valve that you shut off between the pump and the line from the city water inlet?

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Danford50 wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
Do you have a separate outside manual water fill?

If not, for RVs without the outside manual water fill they use a manual valve inside the RV to fill the water tank. That valve may be open slightly allowing water to slowly fill the tank.

If you do have outside manual water fill, the only way water can get into the fresh water tank is if the 12V water pump check valve fails..

In this case you need to check the hose on the input side of the pump (which goes to the freshwater tank) and see if there is water coming out of the input side of the pump with the city water pressurized.

If water pump check valve has failed, you might be able to get a rebuild kit or if you can't find parts you will need to buy a new water pump..

If you don't use freshwater tank at all and have no intentions to ever use it, you could add a manual shutoff valve on the output side of pump and simply turn off the valve.

On my trailer i have a Manuel freshwater with a cap, and a city water(screw type) connection. not following what you are trying to say here

Some RVs instead of having a gravity outside water fill will have a water fill valve inside the RV which allows you to open the valve with city water connected to fill the tank directly.

Since you have the outside gravity fill, you obviously do not have the internal water fill valve.

This means that your water pump has a bad check valve and is leaking water into the tank. That is the only way water can fill your tank without using the outside gravity fill.

You need to repair the pump or buy a new pump. Some pumps there may be a repair kit.

If you have no plans of using the fresh water tank, you could add a valve at the water pump and turn the valve off.

Danford50
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

If not, for RVs without the outside manual water fill they use a manual valve inside the RV to fill the water tank. That valve may be open slightly allowing water to slowly fill the tank.

If you do have outside manual water fill, the only way water can get into the fresh water tank is if the 12V water pump check valve fails..

In this case you need to check the hose on the input side of the pump (which goes to the freshwater tank) and see if there is water coming out of the input side of the pump with the city water pressurized.

If water pump check valve has failed, you might be able to get a rebuild kit or if you can't find parts you will need to buy a new water pump..

If you don't use freshwater tank at all and have no intentions to ever use it, you could add a manual shutoff valve on the output side of pump and simply turn off the valve.

On my trailer i have a Manuel freshwater with a cap, and a city water(screw type) connection. not following what you are trying to say here

Danford50
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
mobeewan wrote:

Rob

i have had travel trailer before, 2 to be exact and every time i connected to the city water connection , it never filled my fresh water tank.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
mobeewan wrote:

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III