cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air operated stairs not working.

Cindy_and_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. Our air operated stairs inside the door to our RV won’t go up flat to make the floor flat. They were not operating when we bought the RV. Sometimes they go about half way but basically they’re not working. When we turn the dial that operates them air just hisses out of it. Is that supposed to happen or do you think the dial is defective? I called Newmar to see if they have a new switch is but they don’t show a listing for it.
2000 Newmar London Aire. 40’, Spartan chassis, 350 Cummins, Allison 6 sp, air ride, air brakes.
38 REPLIES 38

Ray_IN
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also have an air pressure operated step cover. Winnebago said it's air pressure regulator should be set at 45psi.
From the regulator, air pressure goes to a 12V-operated solenoid valve,(your switch) with 5 ports, one is for incoming 45psi air, one is for air pressure to extend the cover, one is for air pressure to retract the cover via an air cylinder under the cover,there are two exhaust ports to permit the air cylinder to move both directions.

When mine began to not work properly, I removed the 1/8" incoming air line from the solenoid and added several drops of air tool oil. After activating the cover several times that air tool oil worked into the movement cylinder and it began operating properly.
That was 7 years ago and the step cover is still operating as designed.
DO NOT USE ANYTHING BUT AIR TOOL OIL! Any other oil contains additives that may react with seals and gaskets in the air system.

That is my personal experience with my air-pressure activated step cover. If trying this does not work for you, then perhaps it's time to begin spending money.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom pushed by a 2013 Chevy Silverado K1500 And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.John F. Kennedy 20Jan1961

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bikeboy57 wrote:
Lets see if you get lucky. Many times those push on air line connections leak. Something that works sometimes is to remove the line from the fitting, and snip off 1/4 inch then reinsert. The nylon tubing gets a compression ring in it over time. If the internals of the valve are leaking this wont help. How many wires are connected to the switch. BTW, it is not a switch but an electrically controlled pneumatic actuator

If you had read from the beginning you would have saw that it is a air valve only, no electrically at all.

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
Delete. Misleading information.
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Cindy and Steve wrote:
larry cad wrote:
By the way, this switch, available on Ebay, is likely to work on this application, and for only $59 plus shipping.

4 way, 2 position, air switch.

The ports and slides are slightly different, but pretty sure this one can be made to work, but we have more studying to do.

This is the same switch that MountainAir05 suggested also.

Hi. Sorry for the slow response. Been working away for a long time. So this product you showed looks promising. I assume there are some threaded things that go into those holes that will receive my airlines?

You are correct. The "holes" are threaded and come in various sizes, usually 1/8", 1/4" and 1/2", depending on how much air flow you need. The other end of the fitting has to fit your hose size.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Cindy_and_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
By the way, this switch, available on Ebay, is likely to work on this application, and for only $59 plus shipping.

The ports and slides are slightly different, but pretty sure this one can be made to work, but we have more studying to do.

Hi. Sorry for the slow response. Been working away for a long time. So this product you showed looks promising. I assume there are some threaded things that go into those holes that will receive my airlines?
2000 Newmar London Aire. 40’, Spartan chassis, 350 Cummins, Allison 6 sp, air ride, air brakes.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer

Our Travel Blog

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
This is not going to be easy. Looking at the sticker from the side of the box, you will see the four ports, 11 and 14, 21 and 22. These are the ports with the red and black hoses plugged in.

We will have to understand the diagram first, and then also identify which hose goes to which port.

Looking at the diagram, the zig-zag thing on the bottom is a standard symbol for a spring that forces a slide to go up or down when you operate the black switch on the dash. The switch is in the diagram up at the top. It is at the end opposite from the spring.

In each of the two diagrams, you have to imagine a rectangular block that slides up and down when the switch is changed from up to down, and vice-versa.

Each of the blocks has two arrows that slide up and down with the block. Each of the arrows is a path for air flow and as the block is moved up or down, the path of the arrows changes.

Now you have to visualize air flowing from the ports, and through the arrows, to the arrow point. At the pointed end of the arrow, the air can either flow out a port, or it can be blocked due to no port at that particular position.

Again, you have to visualize the two positions that each block can have. As they are moved up and down by the selector switch, the airflow will either push the air cylinder out, or cause it to retract. It is this action that moves your step cover.

At this point, we should now understand the purpose of the spring. When the selector switch is in one position, it compresses the spring by sliding the block down. When the switch is in the opposite position, the spring is expanded by sliding the block up.

This is the basic operation of the switch. However, there is more information we need. Read this first, and let us know if you understand it all.

Our Travel Blog

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cindy and Steve wrote:
Here is that sticker. I had to peel it off the other day to open the switch so I just stuck it on the dashboard. LOL.

These guys sell air valves, found several it look like you could use, just need to find what that fourth line does. I found online that is could be a switch on the passenger side to lock the cover so it does not move once set. There is a email so you have a contact plus phone if you need it. Still looking Found one that has a knob like yours but only three lines used to control a air cylinder. This is the one I found that look close, but need to know what the 4 line does. close for three lines

Parker Canada Division
160 Chisholm Drive
Milton, ON
CAN
L9T 3G9
Ph: 1 (905) 693-3000
Fax: 1 (905) 876-1958
pcdmktg@parker.com

Cindy_and_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Here is that sticker. I had to peel it off the other day to open the switch so I just stuck it on the dashboard. LOL.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer

Here is a photo of a pneumatic switch you can purchase for about $10. However, it is not suitable for your application. I am only showing this to demonstrate that there are possibilities, but we need more informtion.

Keep at it. We are getting closer.

Our Travel Blog

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
I copied the photo, pasted it into irfinview, and enlarged it as much as I could. There is for sure a label on the left side with information that should help us.

It looks like the red and black grommets around the hoses are grippers. If you drain the air out of the system, hold onto the hose just above one of those colored rings, and push the ring straight down, it's possible the hose will pull out of the fitting. To reinstall the hose, just push it down into the fitting.

To remove the box, you will have to remove the "UP" "DOWN" switch knob. It is probably held on with a allen screw on the bottom of the knob. After you take off the knob, there is probably a hex nut holding the box in place. Just educated guesses, but worth a try.

Once you get the box out, post a picture of the label on the left.

Our Travel Blog

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cindy and Steve wrote:
MountainAir05 wrote:
Does your step cover make the step inside the Rv or does it just slide out straight and cover the hole.

This is where you get 12 volt actuators when needed.

https://www.firgelliauto.com/

this is the link for the info about maybe your step cover.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/step-cover-lift-motor-114580.html

The cover is also the steps. They don’t slide back and forth as some do, they raise up and down. Sometimes I can force it up by hand and peek under it. There are absolutely no electrical wires at all. Just an air operated cylinder. The piece I’ve shown in the picture is the backside. The front is just a little up/down dial that seems to direct air to the cylinder when turned to the up position.

Thanks, when you get a part number will go from there. that is just a 4 port that I can see right.

Cindy_and_Steve
Explorer
Explorer

Cindy_and_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
Does your step cover make the step inside the Rv or does it just slide out straight and cover the hole.

This is where you get 12 volt actuators when needed.

https://www.firgelliauto.com/

this is the link for the info about maybe your step cover.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/step-cover-lift-motor-114580.html

The cover is also the steps. They don’t slide back and forth as some do, they raise up and down. Sometimes I can force it up by hand and peek under it. There are absolutely no electrical wires at all. Just an air operated cylinder. The piece I’ve shown in the picture is the backside. The front is just a little up/down dial that seems to direct air to the cylinder when turned to the up position.