Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane Quick Connect Question

pweekly
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all.
I have recently downsized from a class A DP to a Sprinter Class C (Renegade Vienna). The propane tank is located under the unit and it has a quick connect on the side to attach a BBQ grill etc. I have 2 questions.

Do I need to purchase a regulator if I am going to connect to that quick connect or I am kind of assuming it’s already regulated as it’s already passed the low pressure side.

Second question and more interesting to me actually. Is it possible to use that quick connect to feed supplemental propane to the unit? If I had a regulator from a BBQ tank to run from high pressure to low pressure and connected to that quick connect, would it flow the other way? My propane tank on board is only a 13.2 gallon and the generator is also LP which is very limiting to boondocking etc. Thanks for any help on this.

Tricia and Tom

:B

2005 Mandalay 40E 400HP cummins/Freightliner in Sapphire blue.
3 REPLIES 3

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My high pressure BBQ adapter includes the external tank port. Plus I can connect to any BBQ that needs either high pressure or low pressure. Low pressure propane fittings are common on RVs and you may need to remove thte BBQ regulator as the use of 2 regulators may give inconsistent propane pressure.

This is my high pressure adapter with a El (for hose routing considerations) and a shutoff valve. The top external tank port is for additional external tank. The BBQ connector is the standard 1 lb 1" screw on propane bottle type.

Hoses with the standard 1” screw on adapters are available. And an adapter for the standard BBQ regulator fitting are available. Propane stores can also make custom length hoses however I use 1 or 2 12' hoses as needed.
Here are the parts that connect to any grill with a external tank connector.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
You may have to bypass the grills regulator most likely. Usually right out of the tank, it goes thru the high pressure regulator lowering the pressure...now it doesn't have enough pressure to open the one on the grill. Look online, it's usually fairly simple to get a kit...plus you will need an extension hose anyway.

As far as back feeding, you could do it with the right adapters as long as you include a regulator between the portable tank and the connection. Swing by a propane place and they can probably get you what you need.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer
If it is past the regulator, then it is regulated, low pressure. As is generally how they are installed. Be aware not all LP devices will work, especially if they come with their own regulator, even if you take out that regulator. Many different products, many different pressures. There are a whole line of grills/cookers/burners set up to work off the low side of an RV, and most already have the quick connect installed.
No,you do not want to hook up a LP tank to this,you would probably damage your regulator. You need to install an extend-a-stay kit.