Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Tow Dolly Woe
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Tow Dolly Woe

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
eieioh

Washington Court House, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder why all of the shops I have contacted will not service tow dollies. I have a unit with surge brakes. So, it seems service for them should be the same as any automotive brake.

The shops I have contacted tell me flat out they either do not work on trailers or dollies or tell they charge $600/axle.

What is so difficult about this?

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/21 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most owners neglect utility trailers until something goes wrong, and then it is terrible to fix or get parts. In short they don't want the headache.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I worked on my own surge braked trailers, but not for hire.
Most CMV LEOs that I have talked to don't like surge brakes for the same reason; It is hard to test to be sure they work like they should.

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For us, the key has always been to find a good independant shop that you make a long term relationship with. We have 2 that we use, and I've taken oddball stuff in like a pressure washer that stopped working vs. taking it to the high volume small engine and lawn mower shop we bought it at. I even had them do brakes / bearing repack on our TT some years ago.

No, this does not help you now...but keep looking. Talk to them. Get a feel for the place. Search google maps for high reviews. You'll find the shop you need...it just may be a one man show vs. a chain. Lastly, don't overlook tire shops. We have a semi truck tire shop in town and they do RV's and TT's all the time...they even rebuilt a driveshaft for a classic truck I had.

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 with Roadmaster Hitch Mounted Spare Tire holder, Bigfoot Hydraulic Leveling

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about a marina, a lot of boat trailers use surge brakes?

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/21 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think/hope any trailer shop that sells boat trailers would be able to service a tow dolly.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What kinds of shops are you looking at?

Any trailer shop would welcome the business, but I suspect you are probably just hitting up automotive mechanics. Shops that work on cars generally do not work on trailers.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of boat trailers use surge brakes. Check with the boat dealers.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I came to suggest calling the boat dealers too, glad other already said it. While mine doesn't work on the trailers, they do inspect as part of my spring service. We have a bunch of trailer sales places (not RVs) but only 2 shops that service and they both seem to be of the mindset that they are only going to service as many as they can and they won't be pressured. As mleekamp suggested get to know them and develop a relationship if you can. I tried with one, failed he made it abundantly clear he services what he sells and not the other guys. [emoticon]

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good time to buy a set of wrenches and watch a Utoob video or 2!
Couple the relative uniqueness of a tow dolly vs more common vehicles and trailers with the recent upswing in business and downswing in employees willing to work and the rest of the screwy economy and I could see it being a challenge to get someone to work on it.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Tow Dolly Woe
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.