Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows license scam

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
As a public service announcement..

Yesterday I received a phone call from a toll free 866 number (came up with a "800 services" and a 866 number) that is active with a Microsoft expired license scam and for $500 they will install a new license for you.

I called back the number multiple times after they hung up on me until they blocked my number so I know the number is good. I would post the number but not sure if Mods will allow.

But I do want to make folks that may not be aware, your Windows license (or "certificate" as they called it) NEVER expires.

Do not fall prey to these clowns as they will rip you off and if you allow them access to your PC they can take over control and will have access to all contents! If you allow them to talk you into this, they will ask you to download and install team viewer which will give them full access to your PC.

After some research, seems these Microsoft expired license scams are also banner popups that may show up in your browser, they are not real and do not click or hover over the banner nor call the number given.

In addition, Microsoft will NEVER call or notify you in this manner you either.
26 REPLIES 26

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Danger Don wrote:
deltabravo wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
I strongly believe that blocking the offending number is a complete waste of time. They almost never use the same number twice.

DITTO!

I strongly believe that not being a moron goes a long way to not being scammed.
I believe most decent phone carriers know what is getting blocked and may add to the internal spam filter. T-Mobile will give a "report spam" option when deleting. Yes I think this helps. Especially helps those that have trouble recognizing junk.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
At one time our house land line was my business phone. When a call comes in that is not marked as "Spam", I may answer it if I am at my desk. When I pick up the handset, I answer as if it is still the business line.
Often, there will be a long pause and then a "Boop". I am told that "Boop" is when the call get transferred from the dialing system to a person.
The person will often ask if they have me. At this time I sound very annoyed and tell the unfortunate that I had given my name when I picked up the phone and maybe they should listen. My next remark is "What are you selling?"
I too enjoy (when I have the time) stringing them along as much as I can with the hope that fewer people will be disturbed by them today.
Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Danger_Don
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
I strongly believe that blocking the offending number is a complete waste of time. They almost never use the same number twice.

DITTO!

I strongly believe that not being a moron goes a long way to not being scammed.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
opnspaces wrote:

DITTO!
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ChristianMorris
Explorer
Explorer
Hey! I just wanted to give a heads-up about these scammers trying to take advantage of people with their fake ""Microsoft expired license"" BS. Don't fall for it. Your Windows license never expires, so don't give these clowns a dime. They might get you to download team viewer or call a toll-free number, but don't do it. If you do, they'll have access to all your personal info and could mess up your computer real bad.
If you're looking for some ***Link Removed***, there are plenty of legit options out there. Just do your research and be careful not to get caught up in these scams. Stay safe, and don't let these jokers get you!

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
My favorite early on - Answer, listen a few seconds, YELL, wait, I'm interested be right back, someone at the door..... Then put the phone down and go about my business. Never come back. Let them waste their time, not mine.

With Robot calls, it no longer makes any sense, if it ever did. I don't bother to answer unrecognized calls anymore.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brother in law got scammed on my father in laws computer. Wife was her dad's legal guardian. She told her brother to pound sand, stating that all financials had to go through her. Not quite sure how BIL got involved, but he knew then that dad was not responsible.

I will occasionally play with scammers. My favorite are the "your social number has been compromised and an arrest warrant has been issued". I've gone as long as 5 minutes playing that one.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tvov wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
pbeverly wrote:
If you don't recognize the number, don't answer. If they don't leave a voice mail or the voice mail is questionable block the number.

Good advice.

But, sometimes answering is a must.

Businesses must answer each phone call, otherwise they go out of business ignoring potential or current customers.

DR or Medical services often use a call center that shows up as "800 Services" to relay appointments confirmation or changes to appointments. ....

Well... these days a lot of businesses don't actually answer a call with a live person. How many times have you called an office, especially a doctor's office, and had to push a button or two to actually get to a person? "Hello, you've reached the office of Dr. So and So, please push one to talk to a receptionist"....

That is intentional - most computer phone scamming systems will just hang up if a live person doesn't answer right away.

I've called a few businesses that their answering system asks for your zip code, or last 4 digits of your account number, etc. Then when you get connected to a real person, you have to repeat that information... One of the reasons the answering system asked those questions was to weed out the scam callers.

Not "all" businesses have adopted the prescreen human check, lots of old school businesses out there that don't and changing over to a more robust phone system that offers the 1-9 option or extension numbers is often a costly expense.

There are also often reasons as to why one may not be able to use such a system like modern 2 factor authentication which calls your predesignated phone number to verify it is in fact you that initiated a change or login to a website..

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
pbeverly wrote:
If you don't recognize the number, don't answer. If they don't leave a voice mail or the voice mail is questionable block the number.

Good advice.

But, sometimes answering is a must.

Businesses must answer each phone call, otherwise they go out of business ignoring potential or current customers.

DR or Medical services often use a call center that shows up as "800 Services" to relay appointments confirmation or changes to appointments. ....

Well... these days a lot of businesses don't actually answer a call with a live person. How many times have you called an office, especially a doctor's office, and had to push a button or two to actually get to a person? "Hello, you've reached the office of Dr. So and So, please push one to talk to a receptionist"....

That is intentional - most computer phone scamming systems will just hang up if a live person doesn't answer right away.

I've called a few businesses that their answering system asks for your zip code, or last 4 digits of your account number, etc. Then when you get connected to a real person, you have to repeat that information... One of the reasons the answering system asked those questions was to weed out the scam callers.

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer
"Your Amazon account has been charged $795, you must call back if this is wrong"
is a fairly new scam,now.

Microsoft (MS) will not cold call end users for any reason. If you get such a call claiming to be MS, then you know itโ€™s a scam.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
Blocking numbers CAN help. I regularly block numbers on my land line. My landline frequently displays the message "Blocked call" in the caller ID section. One of the numbers that I had already blocked tried again. If it was blocked because of the call screening, it just displays "Missed call."

^^

This. I also pay Verizon monthly for use of their Call Filter app. Not the most effective out there vs T Mobile's or AT&T from what I've read, but it's definitely made a difference in the volume of garbage calls I receive.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blocking numbers CAN help. I regularly block numbers on my land line. My landline frequently displays the message "Blocked call" in the caller ID section. One of the numbers that I had already blocked tried again. If it was blocked because of the call screening, it just displays "Missed call."
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Shopper Drug Mart scammers are hard at it too, $90 gift certificate if you click on the link...Don't be tempted.