cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Protection from freezing

Phedley
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 Winnebago Navion, I was wanting to travel Williams Arizona in December. My question is if I keep the inside warm and the holding tanks heaters on would my plumbing freeze? What are your thoughts?
24 REPLIES 24

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
If it was up to me (my Itasca came with whatever Winnebago used), I would only "install and trust" UltraHeat (12V) pad heaters on my tanks:
https://www.ultraheat.com/the-backstory

His are supposedly still all american made.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it was up to me (my Itasca came with whatever Winnebago used), I would only "install and trust" UltraHeat (12V) pad heaters on my tanks:
https://www.ultraheat.com/the-backstory
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
MT BOB wrote:
"As an after thought, Winnebago probably used the most cost effective (aka cheapest) heaters they could safely/legally install."

Had to smile,as probably very true!
OK back to my coffee.

Hmmmm ... who else offers RV tank heaters besides the company listed in my link above (Ultraheat) ... I sure haven't seen any others advertised or mentioned??

From my prior post, click, scroll down a bit, and they have embedded a couple of other links for/to tank heaters.
https://vancampinglife.com/when-should-i-turn-on-my-rv-tank-heaters/
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
The tank heaters will work fine. If they are 12v the converter will supply the power. Either way you will want to be plugged in.

Or is this an off grid adventure?

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
MT BOB wrote:
"As an after thought, Winnebago probably used the most cost effective (aka cheapest) heaters they could safely/legally install."

OK back to my coffee.

Hmmmm ... who else offers RV tank heaters besides the company listed in my link above (Ultraheat) ... I sure haven't seen any others advertised or mentioned??

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crawl underneath the rv ? Now youโ€™re pushinโ€™ it. :E
I will check mine to see how they look or donโ€™t look. Maybe they fell off :B

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
bobndot wrote:
Amazon has a 12v , 12โ€x18โ€ tank pad @ 4.8 amps.

Would that be about 100 watts of heat ? ?

P = I * V or W = A * V
So, about 60W.

As an after thought, Winnebago probably used the most cost effective (aka cheapest) heaters they could safely/legally install.

Tnx for formula ๐Ÿ™‚

'Built to last the warranty' ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm surprised the heaters con't to operate.

NP on the formula. It's US Formula One day today, so sort of appropriate?

I have only ever tested them once, and that was briefly in the driveway. They look like they would peel and fall off if used for longer than a few minutes.
I secured the wiring myself shortly after the dealer installed it in 2018. They didn't get the wiring and pads when the vehicle was delivered to them. Took about an extra week to get the parts. I had a look underneath when I got home after the work. They left the wiring dangling loosely underneath, so I added some inexpensive plastic wiring conduit and some cable ties to try to secure/protect them a little more. So far, so good.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Phedley wrote:
We just bought this unit so thereโ€™s going to be a learning curve. Thatโ€™s what I thought but I wanted to get more input. We will be plugging in but sure if holding tank heater will work. Thank You

Looks like the regulars are off the track here discussing the finer points of tank heater wattageโ€ฆ.no surprise.
Your question is very vague, other than youโ€™re letting the audience try to figure out how cold it might be based on your description of travel route.
Understanding that you donโ€™t know how cold you can operate your rig, still try to ask questions objectively.
And as no one yet has come by and said โ€œI have that model and we ______ down to _____ degrees with no issue.โ€ , Iโ€™d suggest figuring out how your camper operates prior to the trip and then have some contingency plans and extra materials.
No one can predict the weather 2 months ahead. Living on the I40 corridor for many years right in the middle of your route, I can tell you it could be 60 degrees or 0 degrees on Christmas. And while lows in the 20s at night and above freezing during the day likely wonโ€™t require much if any extra effort, 0 at night and 30 during the day most certainly will.
Easier thing to do is learn how to do a quick winterization. And if it be gettin too cold, just winterize up the fresh water side and keep a little pink or blue juice for the tank(s) and flushing.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
MDKMDK wrote:
bobndot wrote:

P = I * V or W = A * V
So, about 60W.

As an after thought, Winnebago probably used the most cost effective (aka cheapest) heaters they could safely/legally install.

Tnx for formula ๐Ÿ™‚

'Built to last the warranty' ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm surprised the heaters con't to operate.

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer

OK back to my coffee.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:

P = I * V or W = A * V
So, about 60W.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
MDKMDK,

Any idea of the watts they draw?

Don, I have no idea. They're factory installs, but they had to be added by the Canadian dealer, after they received the unit from the factory. For reasons unknown, they could not be "factory installed" @ Winnebago. Cross border rules/regulations? Next time I'm under the vehicle, I'll see if I can see a label to identify them. My gray/black tanks are 36 gallons each, fwiw.
I did find a blog that discusses them in some detail, and mentions between 4A and 11A of current as a typical range. They link a couple of examples of after market add ons. Though they don't say, I'm assuming that's DC amps.
https://vancampinglife.com/when-should-i-turn-on-my-rv-tank-heaters/

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
MDKMDK,

Any idea of the watts they draw?

A good question, Don.

I found a link to the UltraHeat wepage that shows what size heating pads they offer and the amounts of current the different size pads draw. Note that the pads cycle ON and OFF under control of their built-in thermostats, so the current that the various pad models draw should be "way less", or at least "a little less", than the steady-state current values shown in the specs.

For versatility to drycamp or hookup camp in cold temperatures, I'd recommended using either the 12V pads or combination 12V/120V pads on an RV's tanks. Of course when hookup camping with only 12V pads on one's tanks, the RV's built-in converter should still supply plenty of 12V current for the 12V-only pads, so I really don't see the need for the combination 12V/120V pads in an RV ... the 12V-only pads should always be OK.

Here's the link:
https://www.ultraheat.com/ultraheat-rv-tank-heaters