cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buenos Aires Wildlife Refuge

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone camp at Buenos Aires Wildlife Refuge near Sasabe, AZ? I was wondering in the access is good enough to get my 26 ft tt into and whether the area is safe.
10 REPLIES 10

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
I live in the general area and we do have persons without USA citizenship moving North. Most are carrying substances of value that are not personal use items. (trying to be PC) We and other locals use the buddy system even when off-roading. Beautiful area but a bit bleak in the winter cold. It does snow, several videos on Utube of people camping in the winter and getting stuck in a snow storm. Locals don't trust weather forecast, it is often wrong. Be careful and aware. Best with other persons and campers. The link provided is to a review in 2014. A lot has changed in the last 5 years, we have been here for 20 years.

rocmoc n Th SouhWest
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully this link will help you from a campers perspective. It is very close to the Mexican border. It doesn't have much in the way of amenities. https://wheelingit.us/2014/02/19/boondocking-site-review-buenos-aires-national-wildlife-refuge-sasab...

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
I predict this thread isn't going to go well. Please prove me wrong.

Why, the poster asked reasonable questions. Hopefully they will get reasonable answers.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:

I hope so too. It is such a beautiful, wild place... That is why I keep going back.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

dedmiston

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
While snowbirding over the years we have spent a lot of time doing the back roads in the Buenos Aires Wildlife Refuge around Sasabe. We have talked with the staff at the Refuge several times. They said they felt reasonably safe.

The area is heavily patrolled and we were eyeballed numerous times while near the boarder. There is a big problem with illegal boarder crossings. It is one of the few places where I always carry a firearm.

All that said... You can get your 26' in many places to camp. The main roads are paved although last time I was there they could use some maintenance. It is a beautiful place to visit. I'm just not sure I would boondock there. I'm not paranoid just cautious.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if the first few are aware of the all the illegals crossing into the US from remote areas like this. Panama caught 38 illegals and all had terrorist backgrounds and were headed to the US. Over 110 countries have been documented crossing or trying to cross into the US from Mexico. These facts can be easily googled. The close proximity to a remote border crossing is of concern to me. Add in the drug mules to that mix. That's why I was hoping to hear from someone who was actually there and can give me and my wife first hand information. I'd also like to know the condition of the roads. Thanks for your help.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
I'd genuinely appreciate hearing from the OP regarding his concerns, without the snide remarks from others.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whenever I camp in remote or some urban areas campgrounds I always prepare for different types of possible safety issues. Common sense says so. It is easy and stress free like having insurance. Possible Issues include weather, access, terrain conditions, critters that may bite, sting, eat or harm you. For example when going into remote BLM lands I carry a shovel, tow rope and two traction devices just in case my 2 or 4 wheel trucks get stuck.

Been camping in Texas and most of western USA since 2001 and only one or two instance of two legged critters threatening me and I ran them off with a bigger. No harm no foul.

I pick locations that are not near areas of frequent criminal actions or points of controversy and possible violence as too many other nice places for me. No unnecessary risk for me. I had fun all those years sports. Cheers to common sense.

The OP is using common sense in asking his/hers question of mature RVers.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
Safe from what?